introduceing chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SarahBeth, May 13, 2008.

1. SarahBeth

SarahBeth Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2008
    North Carolina
    I'm a first time chicken owner, so forgive the stupid questions. I originally started out with four chicks, and now seven weeks later I just have two (dumb neighborhood dogs). We finally finished up the new, improved, and predator-free coop yesterday and put my remaining two chicks in it. I have one black Bantam chick (which I'm hoping is a pullet, I'm not sure how to check at this age) and a white leghorn pullet.

My intent was to have a few laying hens, but since my other two passed away I only have one laying hen. I got the Bantam as a pet since their eggs are so small I'll barely be able to use them. I was thinking about trying to get some more pullets to add to my herd. I would like three or four pullets around 7 or 8 weeks old, the same age as my other two.

My four chicks were raised together so they never had any problems, but will there be any issues I need to be aware of I get more pullets at this age? How long would you suggest quarantining the new pullets before adding them to the coop to prevent any sickness/disease? Should I be worried about giving them any medication?

Thanks for the help, I look forward to your answers.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

When introducing birds, make sure they are the same size and let them fight out the new order without intervention unless someone gets hurt badily.

Quarentine for about 3-4 weeks if they are aquired as non chicks.

No medication necessary, giving thing such as antibiotics as a preventative just makes bacterial resistance worse and make your antibiotics useless when you need them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by