introduceing new chickens to the flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by animallover2202, Sep 22, 2012.

1. animallover2202

animallover2202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2012
    Buck Creek IN
    i just got 3 bantam cochins and the others chickens dont like them how do make them get used to eachother???

P.S. i have 25 chickens (all hens) and there big chickens

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Put them in an adjacent pen where they can see each other. Give them time to get used to the idea of the other chickens. A week should do it. Of you free range you can let the mingle for a few days before putting them in the same coop. If you don't free range let them mingle in the run for just a while before they they go to roost, do that for a few days. A distraction while they start to mix may help.

3. animallover2202

Aug 25, 2012
    Buck Creek IN
    ok so my dad wakes up lets the all the chickens out because there free ranged and my 3 new ones get picked on so when i get home i catch them and put them back in the coop and feed them that's fine right or will they end up getting killed??

P.S. they all are nice when they go in to sleep

4. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Maybe not so bad. Did they look worse for wear when you put them in the coop? If they can get away while free ranging they should have been alright. Without a introductory period, the pecking can get intense when they are confined to the small space of a coop and run. When they can get away in a larger space, free ranging, it does lessen. If they were not bloodied and survived the day, at this point I would be tempted to let them work it out while free ranging. Of course watch when you can. It can take time for them to accept the newbies.

5. animallover2202

Aug 25, 2012
    Buck Creek IN
    ok

6. kays chicks

kays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2012
    Derby UK
    i bought a new adult chicken and its taken almost a week , i kept the new one in the run and the others out side and put the food where they have to look at each other to eat then on the 3rd day i opened the coop door so if the newbie wanted to it could free range . day 5 they are all running around the garden free , the newbie keeping there distance but all having treats together . im on day 6 and newbie is with 2 of the chickens in the coop fast a sleep so i think i may of cracked it [​IMG]

7. Gofygure

Gofygure Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Honestly, even when you give them time to eye ball each other it's a rough process, especially if your birds are prone to aggression. Bantams and juveniles have the worst of it.

Try to ensure that they always have a place to go- meaning open the coop up as soon they wake up and start moving around. This is partially to make sure that a newbie doesn't get cornered, but also that it doesn't injure itself trying to get away from the others. Whenever I integrate, I'm more worried about panicked snapped necks than I am about too many pecks.

With any luck they'll settle down after a week or two together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by