1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Introducing 1 Pullet to the Flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BlueCamas, Nov 1, 2011.

1. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    I'm picking up a Partridge Chantecler pullet on Saturday [​IMG] and I don't know how to introduce her to the rest of the flock. I guess you can't really call it a flock, as it's three little Bantam Rocks, but still. Tips?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  2. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    You should probably keep the newbie separate from the others for a week....just to make sure she is healthy, you don't want to risk the others health. After that slowly introduce them, some do this by placing them in the coop behind a wire fence for a few days so they can see each other. When you do fully integrate them put the newbie in the coop on the roost at night and check on them periodically. The pecking order is most likely to be disrupted but that is normal and should only last briefly.....sounds the others are fairly young too so they should get along fine in no time.

3. BlueCamas

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    The main reason I'm buying her is because she is broody and I was hoping to hatch some chicks before winter really starts. Her current owner say that she is sitting on rocks at the moment [​IMG]
    I'm planning to put her on the roost when they are sleeping and wake up to see her there. I'll keep a good eye on them, I can't wait to get her!

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Put her in a separate place with some egg. She may snap out of her broody mood with the change of address and as the other post says it is a good idea to isolate her. I quarantine any birds I introduce for at least 30 days, everyone is different. If she is broody when you get her, slip some eggs under her while she is in quarantine.

5. BlueCamas

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    Quote:I never thought of that [​IMG]
    I'll do that, silly me [​IMG]

6. BlueCamas

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    I have her in quarantine and I gave her an egg just to see what she would do. She did sit on it all night but when I walked up to her cage she jumped off. She did this a few more times that day. Is there any way I can encourage her to be broody? Or is she being broody? [​IMG]

7. comptonsgonecountry

comptonsgonecountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    My broody jumps of her nest once or twice a day. She managed to stay off the nest for 20 minutes yesterday morning and the eggs still were warm to the touch. Broody hens know best so I wouldn't worry to much.

8. BlueCamas

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    I have never had a broody so I really don't know if she really is broody [​IMG]
    I have 9 eggs that I am ready to give her if she shows that she will take them. So far she has not shown any aggressiveness, I've heard that they would get very protective of eggs.
    Should I give her a nest box to set in? Or is the bottom of her cage alright? She has a think layer of pine shaving to nest in.

9. comptonsgonecountry

comptonsgonecountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    This is my first broody as well so I'm researching this forum like crazy [​IMG]

I lifted my broody off the nest yesterday to check her eggs and she was hostile. She did stiffen up when I picked her up. I only checked on her twice today and that was to put fresh water and food by her. The second time was checking on her when I did my rounds before lockdown.

I have read some that will put a separate nesting box in the cage and others who will only put straw down. I don't have my broody caged, so I have no idea. She built her nest in one of our empty horse stalls. She has a small opening at the bottom of the stall-door that she can enter and exit if need be. I thought about moving her to a kennel but than I figured she must know what she is doing and I'll let her do her thing.

I would giver her a couple days to see how she is doing with that one egg before placing the other nine in there with her. But again, I'm a newbie as well [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by