1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Introducing 2 adult silkies too my 6-7 week old chicks???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by connor97, Feb 2, 2013.

1. connor97

connor97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Is this good idea, or are my chicks still too small? I wanted to get the silkies when the chicks were still smaller, that way when the chicks grow older they won't be as harsh to the little mini bantams. Should I wait it out? If you think it would be okay I would prefer to get them now because I don't know when the petstore I'm getting them from will have them again or not.

2. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    I think that it's a good idea but I haven't tried it myself. Are these silkies adults? Great chance to learn a more effective way of having silkies with LF. Let us know how it goes. [​IMG]

3. connor97

Yes they will be adults.

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I'd give it a go. As long as they chicks have enough space to get away, they should be fine. Depending on the quality of the Silkies (if their crests are big) they may not even be able to see well enough to do much pecking. If that's the case, you might want to make sure the chicks don't pick on them :p Good luck!
    Nikki

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  5. connor97

We ended up getting only 1 silkie. She settled right in and the chicks love having a big fluffy hen to snuggle up to at night. The pecking and fighting only lasted about 30 seconds and they were all buds. Day 2 with the silkie and all still getting along just fine. [​IMG]

6. connor97

[​IMG]

Here they all are this morning. Thanks for all your help everyone !
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    Awww...they love each other [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by