Introducing 2 new day old chicks to a 4 day old

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Festa X11, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Festa X11

Festa X11 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2009
    Lincolnshire Wolds UK
    I think this may have been asked before but I can`not find the question.
    This is our first time hatching, we started off with 17 eggs but unfortunatley only 3 made it.
    The problem we have is that one chick hatched 4 days ago (early) and the other 2 have hatched today (late) we took the first chick out and put it in the brooder as we didnt want it left with the high humidity and we was not 100% sure the other 2 would hatch. So now we are concerned that the first one may be a little picky on the new ones because of the age difference, I know 4 days isn`t much to us but in chicken time it is.
    We are not sure of the breed of the 1st chick but believe it to be a Marsh Daisy(even though we bought the eggs as silkie eggs but from 2 different people, so one person is not very popular here) the other 2 are silkies.

We would appreciate any advice you can give.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  2. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

put em in and watch em for a while, some pecking MAY happen but I doubt it. If you see too much roughing up the new chicks, put something like a grate or some screening between them, I don't think a couple days will make that much trouble though.

3. Festa X11

Oct 11, 2009
    Lincolnshire Wolds UK
    Just tried putting them together and the first chick went straight over and started pecking at the 2 new guys eyes, so not a good start [​IMG]
    we have put a divider in the brooder and will try again tomorrow to see what happens.

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Give them a day or two to make sure they are good on their legs, then put them together and walk away. Trust me. They look more cruel than they are. I merge chicks that hatch a week apart all of the time and they do just fine.

5. Festa X11

Oct 11, 2009
    Lincolnshire Wolds UK
    Well we tried to put them together again and left them to it. The first chick was hyper aggressive and caused physical damage to one of the silkie chicks around it`s eye nearly tearing the poor little things eye lid off. This we could not tolerate so it had to go.

6. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    What happened to the first chick? Was it a real Marsh Daisy?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by