Introducing 2 new hens, help!!

tartarsammich

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 10, 2014
I have two Red Stars that are the survivors of an escape attempt that three of their sisters did not. Somehow, the got out of their coop at night, (this problem has been fixed) and they were killed by something in the yard. I decided I would like to replace them with a couple of Ameraucana hens that are around the same age. I tried introducing them at night, and as soon as the sun came up they started pecking at each other. The Ameraucanas wouldn't even come out of the coop during the day. I decided to section off a portion of the pen with wire and let them stay there so the Reds can get it through their thick skulls that the new ones are here to stay. Is that the best way I can go about it? How long should I leave them there?

Hard to say, maybe a week or two. Or, since no blood was drawn. put them beck together and let them begin working out their pecking order -- which they will have to do, sooner or later.

I am going through a similar situation. Put the new hens in a sectioned off run next to the one I have with the existing hens. This was over a month ago. Tried to put them all together a few times now with no luck. Have them all together as of today and just going to leave them together to work things out. So far it's not pretty. With winter on its way, need to have them all in the same coop. Should be interesting.

I am going through a similar situation. Put the new hens in a sectioned off run next to the one I have with the existing hens. This was over a month ago. Tried to put them all together a few times now with no luck. Have them all together as of today and just going to leave them together to work things out. So far it's not pretty. With winter on its way, need to have them all in the same coop. Should be interesting.

I sectioned them off and after a few days I just put them together with the other two and they seem to be working things out. They still peck at them a little and chase them but it's getting better. Hope it works out for you!

Back
Top Bottom