Introducing 2 nine week old roosters to flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by dhh, Dec 30, 2010.

1. dhh

dhh Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2010
    Texas
    I have 9 week old pullets and roos that I want to incorporate into my existing flock of 30 six month old hens and 1 six month old BLRW rooster. I am not too worried about the pullets, but how will the older rooster react to the 9 week roosters?

2. emzee

emzee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    The older rooster may be aggressive towards the younger ones. However, I would still incorporate them into the flock but keep an eye on them to make sure that the older rooster doesn't draw blood.

3. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Of course all breeds and circumstances are different, but as a rule, all of the older chickens are gonna be a pain in the butt for the little ones to live with. Ya better have lots of room for the little guys to run. See for yourself.......Pop

4. dhh

dhh Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2010
    Texas
    Thanks for your suggestions. I have a 30 by 90 run attached to a 12x15 chicken coop for my main flock, so hope this will be plenty of room.

I introduced 10 week olds to the flock(I forgot to mention I have 4 two year old hens in this mix) about 3 months ago and had no trouble but I did not have the rooster at the time. These are my first roo to roo dealings!

5. Lollipop

At 9-10 weeks nobody will be concerned about the roosters. Chickens are very territorial and will resent all the new ones. You may have some softies and they don`t care about the new additions, but often that is not the case. If your older cockeral was mature, as in over a year, he wouldn`t be a threat to them at all, but hens, the pullets, and a young cockeral will need watching. It`s good you have plenty of room for them to escape, but you still need to be aware that conflicts may occure. Good luck.........Pop

6. peacockfarmer1

peacockfarmer1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    he will ignore them if roosters grow up together they seldom fight

every year i hatch 100s of chicks to sell and we keep all the roosters together until they are about 8 months

7. Lollipop

Quote:Not the same scenario, amigo. Immature cockerals from about 5 months on are usually like teenage boys with an out of control labido. He will resent any intruders (strangers), as will the pullets that are older. It`s just common chicken behavior. What you said is true, but cannot be applied in this case.......Pop

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Pop is the voice of logic and reason here. Young birds introduced into a mature flock generally is a recipe for aggression. It probably won't take the form of rooster to cockerel aggression but rather will be adult to immature aggression. 9 week olds are no match for adult birds.

9. dhh

dhh Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2010
    Texas
    Thanks. My husband and father in law are just finishing a small coop w/ run adjacent to my large run & coop. I am going to move the babies in there and make this a gradual transition over the next few weeks. The flock will be able to see but not access the small ones. Thanks for your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by