introducing 2 parakeets to each other?

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by chooniecat, Nov 25, 2010.

1. chooniecat

chooniecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    I am not familiar with multiple keets and have obtained a male keet to be a friend(ONLY) to my female keet. will NOT let any babies be hatched and they seem to be get along thru their cages. any opinions on how long to wait to stick them in same cage??? female is appx. 4 yo and male(new keet) is appx. 1 yo.

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

3. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I really had no trouble tossing parakeets in together. We quarantined, put the cages near each other or the divider in the cage, and then after thoroughly cleaning the cage a few days to weeks later (depends how busy we got) we just put them together. Worked fine with 2males and 2 females so far. [​IMG] It can help to introduce new animals in a neutral area such as letting them loose in a safe room or a tent set up indoors (sugar glider people use tents a lot for safe exercise). Otherwise just make sure the cage and toys are cleaned well and rearranged so no one recognizes it and tries to claim it exclusively.

4. chooniecat

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    they're apparently bored with each other now so I hope it goes OK. THANKS-katy

5. Imp

Quote:OK that has me laughing [​IMG]

Imp

6. chooniecat

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    Update-my female was dead this a.m.. I am heartbroken. she was poofing up yesterday(and the room is cool but shes used to it-had her for 3 years)so I didn't know WHAT to do and put a heater in my room(where shes kept)and she seemed ok. last night she was sitting on bottom of cage(uh oh) I was hoping extremely,best case senario, she was trying to pass an egg. I talked to her and she perched again but was hunchy. I kept the heater up and went to sleep and......they were not together but close enuf to see each other. he seems wonderful this morning. stress of new bird??!??!~!!!? this day sucks. forgive me and I am going to research a bit. thanks guys.

7. Imp

Oh, I'm so sorry. That's sad.

Imp

8. chooniecat

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    And I looked on craigslist(only wanted adult keet as there are so many that need homes) and found a gorgeous (all keets are gorgeous to me tho) female keet close and picked her up. the 2 new birds will be introduced today via being loose in room together and see how that goes. she is a chomper(of humans) though.

9. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    What if the female caught something from the new male since he was in a cage next door?

I'm not sure I would then put two new ones in the same cage the dead girl came out of or sitting right next to your previous new boy.

10. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    You need to quarantine. You are going to end up killing all your birds someday by putting new ones together so soon. They need to be kept in a separate room and share no objects between cages for at least a couple weeks preferably a month. If everyone appears healthy after that then you put their cages near each other. It also cuts down on the stress the new bird experiences since they aren't thrown in to a new home, new cage, new toys, and then a new bird to deal with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by