Introducing 2 pullets and a young duck

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jdyson, Jan 11, 2013.

1. jdyson

jdyson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2013
    Ok, I'm trying to decide when I should introduce the newbies to the older hens. They are all out together but I have them seperated by hardware cloth. The little ones have been out there for about 2 weeks now and they seem to really want to hang out with the hens. The hens are not paying them any mind now. Any suggestions on this feat? And how well will one duck be with a flock of chickens? I really think that Phoebe thinks she is a chicken now, lol.

2. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    I keep my ducks with my Serama chickens. The chickens are mixed ages because they are from different hatches through the years. The ducks kind of just fell in with the chickens. They don't really pay each other any heed except maybe at feeding time, the chickens are push overs. Just keep an eye on the newbies. They will probably get picked at by the older ones to establish their pecking order, especially if they get too close, but unless there is any serious fighting or missing feathers or blood, they should be fine. Good luck and congrats on the new birds!

3. jdyson

jdyson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2013
    I'm a little nervous about it. I've never had a duck before. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by