Introducing 3 birds to a "flock" of 1

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Honey Buns, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Honey Buns

Honey Buns New Egg

Jun 5, 2011
    Our already small flock of 3 has recently been reduced to 1 due to an overly excited neighbor dog. We are looking to introduce new birds and grow our flock to 4. We aren't sure if we should get 3 different breeds or even worry about it. We've heard different stories. Some say "birds of a feather..." others say it doesn't matter, the birds will establish a pecking order. We don't want our Sexlink to get picked on after all she's been through. What to do, what to do?

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Get three juvenile birds and your current hen will be the leader.

3. Honey Buns

Honey Buns New Egg

Jun 5, 2011
    Does it matter if the three new ones are of the same breed as the Sexlink, or different breeds? Should we mix up the flock? I ask because we have the opportunity to get 3 Dominique Juveniles.

4. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    most people say a mixed flock is fine. even if you have only one of a certain breed. they don't seem to mind color or breed.

5. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    The Dominiques should be fine. Mixed flocks work well enough - eventually one bird or other will always be dominant and one will be lowest ranking, even if the are all the same breed. When it doesn't work it is usually very mellow breeds like Silkie or Orpington being picked on by a more active breed. Both the varieties you mention should be fine together.

6. Honey Buns

Honey Buns New Egg

Jun 5, 2011
    thanks for the great input, we will be picking up a few more birds of mixed breeds soon. Wish us luck !!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by