1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

introducing 6 wk olds to 1 yr olds? (I ADDED PICS!)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChixChic, May 12, 2009.

1. ChixChic

ChixChic Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2009
    Newfield, NY
    Hi All.... I searched this sight for a situation that resembles mine... and I got some answers. But I just want to clarify it before I go and do something and regret it later.

I have 3 sets of chickens right now. I have three 1 year olds, (Orpingtons),who are outside with my three 1 year old ducks. I keep them in a chain link dog kennel during the day, because they wont stay where they belong. And at night, they go in the coop.

I also have six 6 week olds, (Orpingtons, and one RIR-and I think one of my Orps is a Roo). I want to start getting them outside, but am not sure if I should keep them in the coop all day for a couple of weeks, so they know where home is....or keep them in a separate area with the older hens so as to get them adjusted to eachother? Either way, I am not set up right now to keep them out at night because I dont have a heat lamp out there... so will have to bring them in everynight.

Then, I have eight 4(?) week olds. They are a combo of reds and sextons, (so I was told). As far as they go, they will remain indoors for a while yet.

I read that I shouldnt let the six week olds eat the layer as it will build up too much calcium... and dont let the hens eat the starter.

Yesterday, I put the older hens in the coop and let the 6 week olds go out in the kennel for about an hour. I did bring one hen in with them, and stood right inside the kennel with them. A couple of times, the 6 weeks old would try to show her how tough they were, but she didnt hesitate to show them how much bigger she was! For the most part, she ignored them, until they either got in her face, or just plain got in her way. Her reaction was to peck a couple of times at them... but what I didnt like is how she would stomp them. It would only last for a few seconds, (cause I would break them up).... But can this really hurt the 6 week olds? Or are they big enough to withstand that? They screeched like crazy when she did it, but I think it was mostly out of fear.

Another question I have is... should I re-think this, and go the other way by forgetting about introducing the 6 week olds to the older hens... and introduce them to the 4 week olds instead?? Is it okay to put ALL the 4 weeks and 6 week olds in the coop during the day together while the older hens are outside? Then, bring them in at night, while I put the hens back in the coop? And say, do this for a few weeks? I have already had the 4 and 6 week olds together, but not regularly.... and they did well.

I also have some questions about whether or not I have more roo's than I wanted. I will post some pics later, and see what your thoughts are.

I appreciate all your help!!!
    Thanks!

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  2. ChixChic

Apr 29, 2009
    Newfield, NY
    Here are my 6 week olds. I think I have at least 1 roo... maybe more... You tell me what you think!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    #6 (Who is MUCH larger than all the others!)
    [​IMG]
    This is also #6
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  3. yodercountrygirl

yodercountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

I think that 3,5,6 are all roos but I am not sure myself, I would think that the 6wk and the 4wks old ones would do better together. My 5wks are in thier coop all the time now( I just have 3)
    Hope this helps.

4. ChixChic

Apr 29, 2009
    Newfield, NY
    Thanks for your reply. I also posted my pics in "What breed/gender are they" and everyone is just about in agreement that they are ALL roo's with the exception of 1 or 2. UGH..... Time will tell.

Not sure now about mixing them in with the younger ones..... WHAT DO I DO NOW???

Actually, I am wondering about the younger ones being roo's too!!!! Oh no. How soon will I know know for sure?

5. Redhead Hen

Redhead Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Rising Sun, Maryland
    Right now I have my 2 month old RIRs in with my 1 month old Golden Comets. I put the Comets out in the coop with a divider between them and the RIRs for 2 days. The divider is kinda like a screen, so they can see each other but not touch. Today I took out the divider. The RIRs seemed to ignore the Comets until they crossed paths. The RIRs would take a few pot shots at the chicks but nothing serious.

The RIRs are twice the size of the Comets. We also have a lot of fenced room around the coop - which gives the Comets room to run or escape. I am guessing that there will be skirmishes to establish a pecking order. The RIRs seem to let the Comets know they are in charge or older. I will be checking in with them as the sun goes down to see how everyone is making out in the coop. Also to make sure the Reds let the Comets in!

I will update you on what I find! [​IMG]

6. ChixChic

Apr 29, 2009
    Newfield, NY
    Thanks...Please do!

7. Redhead Hen

Redhead Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Rising Sun, Maryland
    Okay ~ Just checked the girls. The Reds were in the coop and the Goldens were not. It seems 2 Goldens got out of the run and one was still in the run peeping like crazy! I put all the Goldens in the coop with the Reds. None of the Goldens are harmed in any way - aside from being separated and stressing about that.

Now, there is not much difference in age, but a huge difference in size with these chicks. I will keep the younger Goldens out there with the Reds. They were escaping the brooder and I would find them all over the basement - that is why they are out in the coop. I also thought they would be able to warm up to the Reds in time. So far I feel things are going okay. No bloodshed or loss of feathers. Granted there was an escape but all in all, things seem to be going fine.

I think you should wait to introduce new chicks to your 1yr olds. At least until they are the same size. I have read on these forums that new birds should be close in size when you introduce them to your existing flock. (I can only guess all bets are off if Bantams are involved! [​IMG] ) I hope this all helps you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by