Introducing 6wk old chicks to 18month old hen!

cluckysgang

Hatching
11 Years
Apr 27, 2008
Forest of Dean
I have jsut introduced two 6wk old leg bar cross sussex buff chicks to my gang, I have kept them seperate to the 18 month old goldline but via open cage so they can get use to each other for the last two days, they slept in the same house last night but separated the two halves as I was worried they may fight. I have put them in all in one half tonight but am worried the smaller ones will get too beat up. Should I worry or should they be ok together? The bigger chicken pecks the small ones a bit bit I suppose it is natural and its a process they have to go through. I am keeping close tabs on the noise from the house and all seems ok. I dont want to keep them separate for too long as they have to get use to each other. I have two more coming in two weeks which will be six weeks old when they come to me!

9540_image0074.jpg

I just saw your post. I would not introduce them at this age - the hen is likely to seriously harm if not kill them. You should wait until your 6 week old chicks are closer to full size (3-4 months) before putting them into the same pen as your 18 month old hen.

I'm worried they are too young and will get killed.
Can you create a pen within the pen to keep your younger chicks?
I have two 9 week old chicks in a 4 by 4 dog pen inside the coop/run with my 30-something week old hens. I let them all out together to free range and I am there to herd 'gangs' away from the chicks. I let one hen at a time come over to peck and assert her status but keep gangs of hens that want to corner and peck away from them.
When they go back into the coop, the chicks run back into their pen rather than to the roost, so I have locked them back in so far. I figure a few more nights/weeks of this, depending on the pecking .... and I think the chicks will eventually head to the roost instead fo the pen.
good luck

Back
Top Bottom