Introducing 8 Week Old Chicks to 15 Month Old Hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gardenak, Jul 14, 2010.

1. gardenak

gardenak Songster

Apr 3, 2009
    Douglas, AK
    I have a 4 x 6 coop with a 4 x 10 run for the girls. I have 3-5 (not sure how many I'm keeping yet) 8 week old chicks that I want to instroduce to the hens at some point. Right now the chicks are too young I think to put with the hens-a couple of them can be rather nasty. So, I'm going to section off a corner of the greenhouse for a few weeks until the chicks grow more. My problem is, the coop & run aren't big enough to be able to divide into sections so they can live together for a while without being able to mingle. What other options are there?

2. cterbizan

cterbizan Songster

Jun 14, 2010
    Oklahoma
    I have all ages in my pen I recommend you put them in at night while the others are sleeping or early morning. I have found it easier to combine chickens that way. The other kind of wake up and I think they are kind of confused on whether the new chickens where there before. They will still peck at each other but mainly over food or treats at least that is what happened with mine. i would say try it and watch them see how it goes.

3. donniedodgen

donniedodgen Hatching

Jun 13, 2010
    hanceville
    my gets new chicks so much they think nothing of it any more.i put the small ones in cage in the house then in aboutfour weeks open cage door and let them decide for them self.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by