Introducing 8 week old pullets to the flock

Grace birds

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2017
Hello, hope I posted in the right thread, seemed like the best option. I have 3 18 week old hens and 1 18 week old rooster. they are in there coop and true free range from 9am until sundown most days and they return to their coop at night.
however! I am picking up 2 8week old pullets today and I plan on putting them into the coop right away. probably tonight as I've read that is the easiest way to introduce. I'm wondering do I need to keep the 2 new pullets in the coop for a few days so they know its their new home or can I let them free range with the others right away? also as far as food goes my birds forage for most of their food but I do throw some scratch grains and scraps out for them during the day as well....can my new pullets eat what my other chickens do? how do I manage both parties food habits if they live in the same coop? thanks for all replies in advance!

Putting them in the coop at night is not necessarily the best way to introduce,
might seem the easiest, but it doesn't always go well, so be ready for that.
It can work, but can also turn into a blood bath.

Integration Basics:

It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better. Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.

This used to be a better search, new format has reduced it's efficacy, but still:
Read up on integration..... BYC advanced search>titles only>integration
This is good place to start reading, BUT some info is outdated IMO:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

Putting them in the coop at night is not necessarily the best way to introduce,
might seem the easiest, but it doesn't always go well, so be ready for that.
It can work, but can also turn into a blood bath.

Integration Basics:

It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better. Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.

This used to be a better search, new format has reduced it's efficacy, but still:
Read up on integration..... BYC advanced search>titles only>integration
This is good place to start reading, BUT some info is outdated IMO:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

Thanks. I dont have a run that's the problem and only 1 coop....its in my wood shed half the woodshed is chicken coop. its a rather large coop...15' × 6' they are true free range birds so when they are out of their coop they aren't confined to a run....I don't really have the resources to introduce the two puppets to them that way over a period of a few weeks so I guess ill just go about it the way I had planned and hope for the best. thanks!

Could always use a wire dog crate right in the coop to 'home' them to the coop......
......and protect them from being injured.
thats a great idea. I have one too. a big one! thats what ill do. thanks I didnt think of that! ill update in a few days :)

Best of cLuck....let us know how it works out!

Hello, hope I posted in the right thread, seemed like the best option. I have 3 18 week old hens and 1 18 week old rooster. they are in there coop and true free range from 9am until sundown most days and they return to their coop at night.
however! I am picking up 2 8week old pullets today and I plan on putting them into the coop right away. probably tonight as I've read that is the easiest way to introduce. I'm wondering do I need to keep the 2 new pullets in the coop for a few days so they know its their new home or can I let them free range with the others right away? also as far as food goes my birds forage for most of their food but I do throw some scratch grains and scraps out for them during the day as well....can my new pullets eat what my other chickens do? how do I manage both parties food habits if they live in the same coop? thanks for all replies in advance!
I am following this thread with interest, my established flock is 4 adult hens and one rooster, I have 6 13 week old pullets and have them in a separated run adjacient to the established flock. I intend to put them together at 15 to 18 weeks, my chicken run is 10 x 10 and the coop is 8 by 10. Assume we'll have the pecking issue but hope the 10 x 10 run will be big enough.

A 10-15 piece of chicken wire allows me "acclimate" new chicks to existing flock.

I keep new baby chicks in a dog crate in the basement with a light. The light gets turned off at the appropriate age (5 weeks/or until they are feathered out). I keep them in the dog crate until about 8 weeks, then every day after I get home from work, I put a small section of 10-15 feet of chicken wire set up in a circle in the grass. I put down scratch along the chicken wire, so both existing flock and new chicks can eat together. I put the chicks back in the dog crate at night. After about a week of doing this every night, I take a weekend day that I am home and let the chicks "roam" away from the circle(open it up a crack), and spend a lot of time in the yard. Mine are free-range and we live in the woods, so lots of trees, leaves, bushes, etc to hide in. After a week of older hens co-existing during the evening/day, I start putting them in the coop at night. I have to bring them in during this time since they haven't learned to go in yet. My coop is big enough so that I have a couple of milk crates and a broken pallet that is standing up in the corner for hiding places for the little ones. It only took about a week for my 8 week old chicks to find their little corners in the coop and they head into coop after the others have claimed their spots.

This is my way of doing it without a "run". Its a lot of labor bringing chicks from their crate in basement to outside, but, its part of my bonding time, and it works!

My chicks are about 8 weeks. They've been in a 2x5ft pen for about 2-3 weeks now. I have 16 hens, one small Bantam rooster. One of the chicks is a rooster that I'm hoping will help protect my COMPLETELY Free range flock. Rescued hound dog lets me know if there's a predator around. Have an old truck door, a Tall Pallet, Stuff they roost on, on the back porch. I have to clean up, but keeps the WEIRD people away.... After Reading this, will let the chicks loose tomorrow. By July, I hope to store that pen back into the basement.
Now what to do with over 30lbs of medicated chick grower...:oops::confused:

Back
Top Bottom