Introducing 9 week old EE to my already in place flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by danahud, Nov 19, 2013.

1. danahud

danahud Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2013
    Mills river, nc
    My daughter got EE chicks for Halloween instead of candy. We're slick I know. Anyway the chicks are around 9 weeks old, flying out of their brooder and so forth. We've had them out in the yard while our already existing flock free ranges in hopes of making the transition easier into the coop. To make a long story short I was cleaning the coop, spreading straw, etc the other day with the little chicks and the adults I. The same enclosure. Everything seemed to be going smoothly so I thought I would just leave them to acclimate a bit to their new surroundings. I went out an hour later to find the two cockerels dead and the little pullet had escaped with her life and was hiding under the compost bin outside the fence. Now that were down to one poor little chick I don't know how to help her become accepted into the flock. We built a little enclosure within the lot so she can be seen but not hurt, but she panics every time one of the big hens comes near her.

2. ShadyHillFarm

ShadyHillFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2013
    NW Georgia
    I think you're doing well to keep them separated but visible. I would wait until she's of comparable size before introducing her to the others. When you do, since she's alone, I would take one of your other hens and place that hen with the new chicken for a while, then turn those two chickens out together.

I have 10 chicks that are a range of.9-11 weeks old and I'm not planning to turn them out until closer to 20-24 weeks.

3. danahud

Apr 22, 2013
    Mills river, nc
    We have a dark brahma who seems to be a loner as well, but she's so passive I don't think she would offer much protection. We were planning on expanding their lot this spring, perhaps well have to put that on top priority. This chick is already flying out of the brooder boxin our laundry room.

4. danahud

Apr 22, 2013
    Mills river, nc
    Could we get more chicks about her same age? Would they mesh?

5. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Chicks of about the same age can mesh fairly well. The older they get though, the harder it is for chicks to merge with new ones. So I wouldn't wait too long if you get more chicks. Just like merging older birds the more room they have the better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by