Introducing a 2-3 month old pullet to 12 to 10 week old chicks?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by NewlyHatchedEgg, Aug 4, 2014.

1. NewlyHatchedEgg

NewlyHatchedEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2014
    Hi, I recently purchased 6 chicks from my local feed store. At 7 weeks, one of my Easter Eggers began to crow. The same feed store sells pullets between the ages 2-3 months. Is it okay to add one older pullet to my existing flock? Should I get rid of my cockerel before adding the new pullet? I have a place for quarantine and an old dog pen that can be placed into the run to slowly introduce her to my existing flock. All ideas and opinions are very much appreciated.

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    It sounds like there is not much age difference between the anticipated new pullet and the chicks you already have. Are they about the same size? If you can only add one, instead of two, (I assume you have coop size limit or town ordinance limit on flock size?) I'd recommend that you move one of your existing flock in with the newbie so she won't be alone, then you can introduce the two girls together after the quarantine. If you have the room, it might be better to get 2 new girls. It's easier to introduce 2 than it is to introduce 1. Am I as clear as mud???

3. NewlyHatchedEgg

NewlyHatchedEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2014
    Thank you for replying! Haha, you are actually crystal clear. Yes, the new pullet will approximately be the same size and age as my current pullets. I know ideally you would add at least 2 new birds together (and I can fit them into my coop), but I will be going over my town ordinance limit. Thank you for the advice, I'll probably put the new pullet with one of my Dominiques.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by