Introducing a broody with chicks to the other chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ladygrey, Aug 1, 2011.

1. ladygrey

ladygrey New Egg

Aug 1, 2011
    I only have two fully grown chickens and one went broody, so put two eggs under her to hatch, the eggs had been in a incubator as i had given her half and put half in the incubator, her eggs were not furtial for some reason, so when two eggs pipped i whisked them under the broody. The broody was still in with the other chicken as i was worried one would get lonley and the other is kinnda broody, anyway i put one egg under each chicken, one chicken started eatting the shell and threw the chick out of the nest. so i got it back in the nest and put it under the other chicken. all goes well, next morning i check on them to find one chick looking dead and the other missing but cheeping. I find the missing one and the one i thought was dead twitches, so i give it a rub and it starts to revive over the next 45mins. I desided to move the broody inside where i can keep an eye on them to make sure mum is being nice. all goes well. but now i am wondering how and when i introduce the chicks and broody to the other chicken? I also have some older chicks who are about 5weeks old, who i would like to put in the group at sometime.

2. ladygrey

ladygrey New Egg

Aug 1, 2011
    Can nobody help?
    [​IMG]

3. LittleChickenLady

LittleChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Clanton, Alabama
    I can't help you, but I will bump your thread so hopefully someone else will come along and give you their advice.

Oh, and [​IMG]

4. ladygrey

ladygrey New Egg

Aug 1, 2011
    Thanks for the bump! Still no one can help???

5. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    I have 2 broodies separated right now with their chicks. Personally, I'm waiting until they are 3 or 4 weeks old, and then putting them back in the coop. This will be early enough that the mamma will protect them around the other birds, but also close enough to the time that they will be on their own so they can integrate more easily. I have a good flock and they all integrate really well, and I recently added 2, 6 week olds with no problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by