Introducing a chick to a momma hen

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mixedflockmomma, Mar 5, 2013.

1. mixedflockmomma

mixedflockmomma Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2012
    I have a hen with chicks that are less than a week old, and a single chick i hatched out in my incubator. I started with 6 eggs in my incubator and only the one successfully hatched, they can from an abandoned nest. My question is: Can I "sneak" my chick in under the hen without her rejecting it? I am worried about raising the chick in a brooder by itself, as I have no other eggs that will hatch within the next 2 weeks. Thanks for the help.

2. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    I would think if your chick is withing a day or two of the same age as the other chicks, you could slide it under her at night and she would accept it.

3. mixedflockmomma

Sep 15, 2012
    Yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I put the chick under the momma hen last night. I went out to check on them a few minutes ago and momma hen has accepted the chick. I'm so glad.

4. Angiebubs

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    Yeah! Great news!!! It is so much easier (and less worrisome) when momma takes care of them for you. And contrary to what I have heard, my momma raised chicks are just as friendly as the brooder chicks. Probably because I bug them all: moms and chicks regularly enough they are used to me.

5. mixedflockmomma

Sep 15, 2012
    Angiebubs thanks so much for the suggestion.

6. Angiebubs

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    NP-I am just really glad it worked out. There is nothing cuter than a chick peeking out from under its mom. (My Lavender Orpington Roo-have cute picks of this and named him Peekachu) Or jumping up on mommas back for a ride or sliding down her back LOL. Love it!

You will have to post pictures when you can!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by