Introducing a chick to parents

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SesameSt.Chicks, Mar 9, 2012.

1. SesameSt.Chicks

SesameSt.Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2009
    Hello!
    I have read lots of great advice on how to introduce new chickens to an established flock, and how to assimilate new chicks into your flock, etc.
    But how do I introduce a "artificially" incubated chick to her parents?

My entire flock consists of her parents - one hen, one rooster. My hen has never ever been broody (that I could tell), so I don't think I can sneak the chick in for her to raise...

I was thinking to wait until the chick is comfortable with outdoor temperatures and is fully feathered, and then section off part of the coop with chicken wire as a retreat for the chick, so that she has her own space, and they have theirs, and they would eventually reach an agreement. How does that sound? They will have to be in the coop together whenever/ however I introduce them since I don't have the freedom to free-range them right now.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

2. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    sounds like a good plan. But if i were you i'd make sure the chick is a similar size before introducing.

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
  4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Definitely wait until they're of similar size. The parents won't recognize her as "their baby". They will only see her as another chicken invading their territory. Sounds like you have a good plan for introducing them.

5. SesameSt.Chicks

Oct 21, 2009
    All right, thanks.
    About how long do you think it will be until she is about a full grown chicken's size?

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    18 weeks will make her about the same size and weight. I generally do introductions a bit earlier than that (14-16 weeks), but since you are introducing a single bird she needs to be in peak condition.

7. SesameSt.Chicks

Oct 21, 2009
    All right. Thank you :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by