1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Introducing a chicks to a solo duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by invertere, Nov 6, 2014.

1. invertere

invertere New Egg

Aug 19, 2014
    I had two three month old ducks but one passed away a few days ago. They were very bonded to each other and not to me or my roommate. I just finished my outdoor coop for them, but now since the duck is all alone, I feel like I should introduce one or two other birds. I wanted to add a chicken or two since I read that their scratching of the dirt would help compost the dirt run of the coop. I'm not sure how I should go about introducing them though. I don't have the space to keep them in pens next to each other. Should I buy chicks that are a week or two old and let them be with the duck during the day until they can tolerate the code and live outside in the coop? Do they need to be that young to bond well to the duck or can I get one a little older? Will the two birds even be able to bond to each other?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Some folks keep chickens and ducks together. Some find that is a problem.

Regarding age difference, the safest thing is to keep them separated with temporary fence, like plastic poultry fence, so they see each other but don't get at each other. With some supervised time together, you can help them develop a good relationship. I would not leave them unattended without the separator, though, to avoid accidents.

Also, ducks have a different relationship with water and can make the bedding wet and that can be fatal to chicks from what I have read.

3. smonkeySK

smonkeySK Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2013
    wigan uk
    As Amiga says; it can work.
    I myself have a Campbell who grew up chicken!

But the birds I raised together were all less than 3 weeks old so it was all very nice and easy.
    Do it with the partition or it could get messy for the chickens in more ways than one!
    I'd go with younger chickens so that they have more chance of bonding with your duck - if the duck is lonely enough to bond with them, then you want the best possible chance of success by having chicks that are impressionable.

Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by