Introducing a full-grown chicken to chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jesd, May 8, 2009.

1. jesd

jesd Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2009
    We have 6 6-wk old chicks and they're getting ready to make the big move outside in about a week or two. I think we're going to give two of them away, and in return, we're getting a year old chicken. Fabulous, since we'll get eggs right away, but not so fabulous in figuring out how to move everyone around with a minimum of stress. Should we put all 6 of ours out together, then take two away, then add the full grown one? Should we put the 4 of ours we're keeping and the new full grown one out in the coop at the same time? Seems like there are a number of permutations that could be feasible, but really don't want our little ones being beaten up by the interloper. Thanks for any advice!

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    I think it would be wise to keep them apart until they are all the same size. Good luck.

3. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Mine go out with the big girls at 5 weeks if they are fully feathered. I have no problems unless i have a meanie in the big girl group and then I get rid of her. I think you will have more of a problem with the "new girl" getting picked on by everybody. I hate introducing one lone bird to flock and try to avoid it, they almost always seem to go straight to the bottom of the pecking order. Also since she is coming form out side you may want to isolate her for a bit, especially from your little ones.

4. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

I've had to put my 12 weekers in a seperate pen next to my big girls. I have a few big girls that are mean, so I don't want to take a risk. I'm hoping after a few weeks near eachother I can add the new girls to the group. My big issue now is my blue cochin roo! He's a big boy, so I need to remover him before adding smaller birds.

Sonja

5. jesd

jesd Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2009
    Yeah, I have to say, this doesn't sound promising. I was hoping if the young'uns made themselves at home before the full grown one joined them she would come in at the bottom of the food chain. This is further complicated (or perhaps helped?) by the fact that the two I'm removing are definitely at the bottom. We don't have the room to separate them for a while first, so perhaps this isn't a good idea after all.

6. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Try it and see, I would put the babies in first and let them get established for a few days and then add the bigger one.

7. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

I've also been told you can put them out for short monitored periods of time so they can get used to eachother. Put a bunch of food out and then introduce the younger ones. Keep an eye on the situation and if the big ones get aggressive then remove the little ones. Gradually increase the time spent together until they get along. I'm going to try that with my silkies and sebrights that need to move into the bantam coop with my pekin pair.

Sonja

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by