Introducing a Male Pekin with my Chicks/Ducks

Marc_M

Chirping
8 Years
Hi all,

I have a flock of older banty ladies and a calm gentle Silky Rooster and one Pekin female (Franny) and one Pekin/Muscovy female (Zoë).
My problem is that Franny mounts Zoë relentlessly. And when she mounts she remains there up to 15 mins. Zoë is smaller than Franny and I fear Franny will damage Zoë one day. Although Zoë, so far, seems unfazed by the experience.

So I am thinking of getting a male Pekin. Male ducks usually mount for about 30 seconds and they're done. However I am afraid that the male Pekin may try to mount my senior Banty Ladies and possible try fighting with my gentle Silky.

Has anyone had experience in this type of situation?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards,
Marc Miller

I don't have a male duck but my female pekins mount eachother and they don't bother my chickens I have silkies and sex links.

I have muscovy drakes with my chickens and they get along fine. I also have a crested and a mallard that are isolated from the others. They are a terror. If you are having any reservations, I would suggest that you follow your first mind. It could turn out deadly. :/ A duck can kill a chicken.

Adding a drake to your flock presents a host of possible scenarios - some of them not pretty at all. As long as there is no injury to the smaller duck, I would be wary of temptimg fate by changing the status quo. Drakes during the breeding season can be out of control.

Back
Top Bottom