Introducing a new chick to older ones

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by pbjmaker, Jul 10, 2011.

1. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I have a lone Red Golden chick that is about 5 weeks old who lives with a silkie chick about the same age. I also have 6 of the black melanistic X ringneck juveniles that are about 9 weeks old. I would like for the pheasant chick to go live with his own kind, but not sure if it will be possible - or how to do it. 5/6 of the "mutt" pheasants are roosters [​IMG] Not sure what the red golden is yet.

I did just put him in the pen with the other ones for about 20 minutes supervised and everyone seemed terrified of each other. A couple of the roosters did attempt to come close to the chick and he about had a heart attack which in turn flipped them out. The crossbred juveniles are as near as wild you can get - very flighty.

I took the Red out because I did not want him to become that stressed out.

Should I just keep raising him with the silkie for now or try to get him another Red Golden friend or two that are closer in age?

2. gobblerunfarms

gobblerunfarms Out Of The Brooder

i always found it easier to introduce the older ones to the younger ones in a new pen to both. i would put the younger ones in the new pen that morning and let them get use to it then take the other ones in there in the afternoon but as you said the mutt pheasant are wild. i always have problems with my ringnecks trying to introduce new birds to the group.

3. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Thanks for the input - I think for now he will just live with the silkie chick and I will try and locate him a couple of red golden friends that are closer in age.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by