Introducing a new chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mukti, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Mukti

Mukti New Egg

Jul 1, 2016
    I need to say I have absolutely no idea about chickens! I just look after a friend's when she goes away and do as I'm told. However, recently she came home to find that one of her two had died.
    I'm really concerned for the one that is left. My friend insists that it's impossible to introduce a new one.

I'm sure there are articles/threads that will help with this, but I'm not sure how to find the relevant ones.. so any links or direct advice would be gratefully accepted. I really feel for this poor girl.. she's lonely!

2. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Living in a galaxy far, far away... Premium Member

No, chickens aren't that mean. Especially if she's lonely, it is fairly easy to add new flock members. Since two of her birds have died, though, I would not until she knows what caused it, as it could be contagious.
    To save my fingers time, her is a link: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/06/integrating-new-flock-members-playpen.html
    You can give the website name to your friend, too. The Chicken Chick was a huge help to me when I first started out.
    Hope it helps! [​IMG]

3. Mukti

Mukti New Egg

Jul 1, 2016
    Only one out of two died, and they're both not young, but absolutely I can see how that would be a problem

I'll forward the links to her.. Thank you very much. [​IMG]

4. PeepersMama

PeepersMama Living in a galaxy far, far away... Premium Member

You're very welcome [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by