Introducing a new chicken

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Firstimer, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Firstimer

Firstimer Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2009
    Hi! I'm new at chicken keeping, and I need a little advice. I started off with 3 chicks which grew up into 2 hens and 1 rooster. Since I'm in the city and cannot keep a rooster, I went back to the lady from whom I purchased the chicks and she traded me my rooster for a hen of approximately the same age.

This hen however had been picked on by the other ones and therefore has a "bald" patch on her breast and is missing some tail feathers. Anyway I took her home and my 2 other girls just wanted to peck at the bare spot on her breast or her neck (which is odd, I had never seen them peck at each other before)

Anyway, I separated my new girl (placed her into a smaller coop inside the bigger coop so that they would all get to know each other but not be able to peck or anything).

So now what is best? Should I keep her isolated until her fathers are back (and hopefully she gets a little more confidence and pecks back)? Or should I just let them sort it out now? And if I do the latter, will they stop picking at her eventually (hopefully sooner rather than later)?

I just don't want them to get bad habits, my coop is more than big enough for 3 hens to co-exist peacefully...

Thank you!

2. tonibadgerschicks

tonibadgerschicks New Egg

Aug 24, 2009
    Hi

I am very new also but had a similar experience and the breeder told me never to introduce one hen on her own to a new group. Its better if you have 2 new ones.

Can you go back to the breeder and get another of the same age?

It is horrible when they peck at the lowest in the pecking order and I find it quite distressing but at least this way with 2 new ones they can buddy up.

3. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

My SOLUTION is this:

I take my loaded Smith & Wesson revolver into the chicken area with me. I SHOW the pistol to all the chickens! I tell them that IF I see any of them pecking another, I WILL SHOOT the aggressor!

THIS does not work.

I decided to just let them "sort-it-out" themselves.

It was a good try, however.

not much help, [​IMG]
    -Junkmanme- [​IMG]

4. Firstimer

May 30, 2009
    Quote:I thought about that, but I can't have more than 3...

5. Firstimer

May 30, 2009
    Quote:Ha, you laugh and yet I spent over 1 hour in my pen, grabbing the hens as they pecked on my new one to make them understand that *I* am the alpha chicken and the rest of them are all betas. Well I just can't do it for days on end... My SO said to let them sort it out, but I get sad for my new little girl, I want her to have a good time at my place....

6. tonibadgerschicks

tonibadgerschicks New Egg

Aug 24, 2009
    Quote:I thought about that, but I can't have more than 3...

oh dear! I did think that you would of thought of having more than 3.

7. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

Get all the chickens that you want/can afford etc. [​IMG]

Don't limit yourself to only 3!

If the local ordinances say only 3...don't worry about it. [​IMG]

If you're old (like me), you can claim "Alzheimer's".

If you're young, you can blame the lousy school system for not teaching you how to count correctly.

If you're "middle-aged", you can blame a poor count on your NEW bi-focals!

No Problem! [​IMG]

-Junkmanme- [​IMG]

8. Firstimer

May 30, 2009
    Actually the by-law says no chickens, but my neighbors said "sure three is no problem to us". I don't want to push it (especially after the very loud rooster incident).

9. LupineLass

LupineLass Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2009
    Slowood
    Quote:I'd push it, they might of said 3 because that's just how many you had, like if you had of had 6, then 6 is fine [​IMG]

I'd take them inside in seperate boxes for the day or a few hours. Move the inside of your coop around as much as you can to give a "new coop" distraction then release all three back together.

10. 2txmedics

2txmedics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    I had something along the same...got my flock all at 3 days of age, turned out I ended up with 7 roos!!! then they matured and all wanted to mount the hens...my hens were being treated rough, beyond rough. One mounted, and before done, 3 more on a hen. So I seperated the roos, kept 3 in the tamer ones, and put the others in large wired dog kennels until I could put them in there own run/coop.

it took me 2wks to do that, and I had them all next to each other with only 3" apart from each other...I built one coop/run...got them all in, and THEY TRIED TO KILL EACH OTHER!!! They could no longer be together. I didnt understand this, born together, raised together, and then side by side. It became a male thing I guess. So I put two in that run that could be together and the other two had to say in the dog kennels. And they couldnt see the hens either.

I ended up having to give 6roos away. and now, they live together in one coop/run!!!! at there new house. I also had 2 porc. d'uccles and I kept them in the main coop/run in a dog kennel for 3 wks...and I could never put them in with the others as they wanted to kill them.

now I have babies going on 1mo. old that Im gonna want to put into the main coop in 3mos ...and I dont know how it will work...might have to make another coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by