Introducing A New Coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickaroo!, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Chickaroo!

Chickaroo! Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2007
    My DH is working on our new coop. My question is... my 3 adult chickens have been in their current coop for 10 months. When the new coop is done, is there anything special I need to do to introduce them to the new coop? I suppose I'd have to keep them penned up in it for awhile so that they learn where their new home is? How long would I do that for?

2. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Congrats on the new coop! I always prefer to use 2 weeks as the rule for making sure home is imbetted into their daily life. Some folks think a few days or a week is enough, however I want 100% of the flock to cooperate, and come home at dusk.

The extra days I provide them, learning where home is works well for me.

bigzio

3. Chickaroo!

Chickaroo! Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2007
    Thanks bigzio. I think I will do at least two weeks also becasue their old coop will still be in the same place. Eventurally, I'd like to move the old coop next to or close to the new one because my dad and I built it and it's special to me now. And who else do you know that has a coop that looks like an outhouse!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by