Introducing a new duck? Update on little Pepper!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TheDuckCrew, Dec 28, 2009.

1. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    Tomorrow i will be picking up a duck from AHappychick!! Im really excited! She will be added to my one duck flock-Toby. I just want to make sure everything goes nice and smooth introducing them to each other. Any certain things I should do? Both are healthy and disease free. Toby has always been a docile duck and never one to fight, but i just want to make sure everything goes nicely. any tips? thanks!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  2. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    Don't put them with each other right away...do it in steps
    1. Let them see each other
    2. Let each see you playing with the other duck
    3. Put both in the same pen
    4. Continue to supervise them until they accept each other...a little fighting is normal, they are just establishing a pecking order

3. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    When I introduced 4 new older ducklings to my 5 last spring, I confined them until they had time to get to know each other. It didn't help. I brought three new girls in later this summer and I just let them in the yard with the others. In both cases, they chased each other until they established a pecking order, and sometimes they still do (the males chase each other). Otherwise everyone gets along just fine with no problems/injuries. If you have ample room (I had the whole yard) then I'd just let it go and let them work it out. If they are going to be in very close quarters, it may be beneficial to keep them separated briefly.

4. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    If its just one duck maybe he'll be glad for some company and there will be less trouble?

5. TheDuckCrew

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    thank you guys! i do have a nice yard where they can meet each other and work things out and have fun. we also have a house and a pen that can be separated by a door. sooo hopefully this works out!

6. TheDuckCrew

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    so yesterday i picked up the new duck, and we let her and toby see each other but still be separated, and toby cuddled right up next to her. we left them like that in the garage for awhile, and then we released the new girl. she was a little scared, but toby went right up to her and grabbed her neck feathers. she freaked and tried to run away, but he wouldn't let go. so i went over to him, grabbed him off of her, and put him away from her. is that normal for them to do? he was so happy being able to see her and cuddle next to her, but the second we released her, he attacked her. they are now separated again and she's hiding.

7. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

trying to mate her?

8. TheDuckCrew

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    thats what i thought at first, but he grabbed her by the feathers on the front of her neck, like our drakes used to do when they fought.

9. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    When I introduced my call duck drake to my BEI drake, they were grabbing feathers while the call duck was still in his transport cage...i let them go together and they instantly started fighting and grabbing onto the front neck feathers...the females were fine, but when they saw the males fighting they must have though lets do it too....but they stopped soon. The male still fought for a while...I could even pick them both up and they wouldn't stop fighting....however, it lasted for a day, after that they were best friends!

10. TheDuckCrew

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    alright thanks for the help! im just worried lol. i don't want either of them hurting each other or anything.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by