Introducing a new hen pullet to the other ladies

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by GLBRWyans, May 20, 2011.

1. GLBRWyans

GLBRWyans Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Central Louisiana
    [​IMG] Got 10 golden wyandottes (pullets) , 1 grown Rhode Island Red , 1 grown Barred Rock , 1 grown Seabright . Bought a Sexlink pullet , put her in with my Indian Fantail pigeons because she had been roughed up by the previous owner . Gave her a chance to rest and heal . She healed up really good , introduced her to the girls and the Red kinda messed with her for a day or two ; kept a close eye on her mind you so she wouldn't get beat up again . Well , she wanted back in with the pigeons , so I put her back in with them for a few more days and re-introduced her to the gang . The Wyandottes chase her to the point she can't rest , eat or drink . So she is back with the fantails , which is really no problem . All that to ask , is there a remote possibility that the other ladies will ever accept her ? Thanks for any info !

2. GLBRWyans

Feb 12, 2011
    Central Louisiana
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Hello to anyone ???

3. chikibabe

chikibabe Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2011
    [​IMG]
    As in life there really are no guarentees. Persistance, trial and error. With horses sumtimes running them in side by side paddocks 1st helps them to mate up before you run them together. . .
    With guinea pigs sumtimes its said to remove the dominate 1 or 1s, clean the cage. Leaving the submissive 1, then add the dominate 1. This changes their territory status.
    Perhaps remove the really dominate chicken or chickens that are picking on her for a day or two, then after they settle, re add the dominate hens. Maybe it will help change the pecking order. Sumtimes feeding time isnt the best time to add new chickens, maybe try when everyone has a full tummy and perhaps in the middle of the day while chickens arnt at their busyest. .
    Chances are though none or any of this may or may not work and things will return the way they were. All you can do is keep trying
    and as you have keep an eye out for her.
    Good luck and i hope they settle for you.

4. Chickencoop1996

Chickencoop1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    [​IMG]

5. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC, glad you decided to join us. Good luck with your birds. We have only added new birds to our little flock once. My perception is that the getting to know you phase while it seemed harsh to me didn't last all that long and in retrospect everyone got enough to eat and a place on the roost. I guess it's always watch and wait.

Seems to me that taking the newcomer in and out keeps her status as a newcomer.

6. GLBRWyans

Feb 12, 2011
    Central Louisiana
    Thanks to all for the replies . Never thought that taking her in and out may be keeping her in the newcomer status .

My precious wife , 2 mutts , 3 parrots , 1 parakeet , the various hens , 12 Indian Fantail and 12 Modena pigeons and my brain that tends to wander off by itself sometimes [​IMG] . lol

7. mjuenem

mjuenem Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Putnam Co.
    I let my little ones spend a couple hours a day in a temporary chickenwire pen about 4 foot square covered by bird net. I make the pen by driving two metal posts out in the yard about 4 feet from the main run and then hang the chicken wire on these posts and close the gaps on the end where it touches the run. Whenever the little ones are out the bigs ones show some interest and the little ones slowly get the courage to get right up to the wire. I take them into the run and coop after about 8 weeks for a few visits to make sure everyone is getting along.

8. GLBRWyans

Feb 12, 2011
    Central Louisiana
    Thank you for the advice mjuenem . I have only had chickens for the first time in my life for about nine months now . Started out with bantams , but switched over to standard birds . Although , I don't think the barred rock and the wyandottes are considered a full standard bird . We hope to get an egg from the wyandotte that is similar in size to the RIR . The barred rock
    egg size is a little disappointing but she is family now . Kept the seabright hen because she is pretty . The (RIR) or henny-penny is the matriarch . She and the barred rock are big buddies . The seabright just kinda does her own thing . The wyandottes still take orders from henny-penny .

9. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. Good advice given. [​IMG]

10. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Double post [​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by