Introducing a new hen to the flock - any suggestions?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Farmgirl Lily, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Farmgirl Lily

Farmgirl Lily Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2012
    I have seven hens and just recently took in another one who needed a home. She was being attacked at her old home, and the people couldn't keep up with looking after her, so I am trying to incorporate her into my flock. However, this is my first time introducing a full-grown hen to the other girls, and I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions or past experience they could share with me. My girls on the top are going after her, and to some extent, I know they have to establish their pecking order, but I don't want them to injure her, so I keep intervening. For now, I can keep her separate, and they see each other through the fence, but that can only be a temporary set up. Any suggestions?
    Thanks!

2. maidenwolfx80

maidenwolfx80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    Keep her there were they can see each other thru the fence. Have it this way for 2-3 weeks. They need to get used to each other. Once they get together they will go thru their pecking order thing and you have to let it happen unfortunatley unless they draw blood.

3. When I introduced Selena, I just put her on the roost at dusk. the next morning when the other hens went out to free-range, I locked them out out of the coop (they have food and water outside) and let the new girls explore their new coop. I then let them free-range a bit. I began to let them free-range with the rest more and more, and they got used to each other quickly. Also, has the new hen been quarentined?

4. Farmgirl Lily

May 26, 2012
    My new hen (her name is Roberta) has been by herself for the most part. I fenced part of the chicken pen just for her, and at night she sleeps in a box in the chicken house. Roberta has not eaten or drunk anything from the dishes that the others do - she has her own separate dishes. She has come into contact with the other girls several times, but mostly they are together out free ranging when I can let them out, and they keep their distance from each other. I'm hoping to give them all plenty of time to get used to being around each other, it's mainly the hens at the head of the flock that are giving her trouble.
    Thanks everyone for your advice - I appreciate it!

5. Has she been quarentined for a period of at least 30 days?

6. Farmgirl Lily

May 26, 2012
    No, she hasn't. I've only just had her for about five days.I should put her in another area if I can. To all appearances she looks healthy, but I know that doesn't mean she's 100% safe to my other hens. : (

7. Yes, totally. It can take up to 30 days for illness to appear, so get her out of there!

8. RJ6Mommy

RJ6Mommy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2012
    Do you think this could work for a new rooster two? I have a little game rooster and yesterday was given a sultan with two hens. He attacked our poor little rooster in an attempt to take over his coop. I removed him but would like him to breed my bigger hens incase they decide to brood. My little roo has two females he can reach. He is friendly and i knew he would not bother the new rooster and I thought the new one would take his place under the little guy but no. I have raised roosters together before without issues.

9. Well, whatever you do, quarentine first. It would work for a roo too, I think.

10. Farmgirl Lily

May 26, 2012
    Okay, so it's been about two months since Bertie (Roberta) the hen came to live with us. All of my hens but two can coexist with her, but my two other girls are determined to attack her. Even after being around her for two months, they aren't any better with her! Bertie basically lives on the perch, and the only time she gets down to eat is when I set her down and clear the two mean girls out so she can eat.
    Does anyone have any ideas or past experiences with this kind of thing? I have tried hobbling my mean hens, but even though I made their hobbles really short, it hardly slowed them down at all from attacking! I can't always be around to give Bertie all of this special attention. Any thoughts? Thanks! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by