1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Introducing a new rooster to an all hen flock.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by IndigoJaguar, Mar 18, 2011.

1. IndigoJaguar

IndigoJaguar Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Ok...so I looked and looked for an answer to this but couldn't find it. I currently have a flock of hens with no rooster...all the roos ended up in the stew pot. However, I saw an ad for three salmon faverolle hens and one rooster that are the same age as my hens. I want a sf roo!! I thought I read somewhere tho, that once you have a all hen flock, even if you introduce a new roo, they wouln't allow him to become alpha or mate them. Is this true?? Or could I introduce a new rooster with minimal problems?

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You'll just have to try it and find out. They might pick on him at first, but eventually he'll establish himself. With most of the hens, anyway.

Remember quarantine!

3. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    I have a RIR Rooster and needed a place to put 15 hens of about the same age! I opened up the coop and put all the hens in with him and they are all fine! No worries unless two roos are being put together! Hens will peck each other a little but will sort it out! I would however keep them seperated for a month so you make sure no one has anything they could give the others! Quarantine them for 30 days and you should be fine!

4. IndigoJaguar

IndigoJaguar Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Thanks, everyone! [​IMG] I didn't mention that that the rooster and hens I want to add are Salmon Faverolles. I hear they are very very calm birds and susceptible to being picked on. I hope tho, that I can combine them peacefully after a quarantine. I would only have one rooster, and ten hens, so I should be good.

5. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    When I added a rooster, my top hen, went up and knocked him down, but he jumped up again, and that was the end of that. They accepted him just fine.

6. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Mrs. K :

When I added a rooster, my top hen, went up and knocked him down, but he jumped up again, and that was the end of that. They accepted him just fine.

That sounds commical like something from a cartoon. I would have been scarred watching it but I'm glad it went so smoothly.​

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

For the most part, roosters WILL establish themselves as the flock Boss. It's in the chicken nature, they are hard wired that way. Boys get to be the boss. Some hens may take offense at it, and never submit to the rooster, but that is not very common.

I think a SF roo would be wonderful. They are easily bullied, as a breed, especially as youngsters, if there are a bunch of other chickens and young cockerels in the group. But for adults, without other roosters, an SF roo should become the Head of The Flock.

8. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Watch him often those first two days. Most of the times a fully grown, virile rooster will quickly establish his place at the top of the pecking order. But not always. Once in a while the hens will gang up on him and whip him. If that happens you may need to pull him out before he gets seriously hurt.

9. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Well then the other hen walked over to the fence and looked up to me, and I swear I could hear her thinking, "THIS, This is the best you could do???" He was the low rooster at the neigbors, and had been pretty badly picked on. He did look rough!

10. heatherindeskies

heatherindeskies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    Mrs. K :

Well then the other hen walked over to the fence and looked up to me, and I swear I could hear her thinking, "THIS, This is the best you could do???" He was the low rooster at the neigbors, and had been pretty badly picked on. He did look rough!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by