Introducing a new rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MapleFrontFarms, Feb 7, 2014.

1. MapleFrontFarms

MapleFrontFarms Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    So I have a very large coop/room for my birds. In here I keep three roosters which were all raised together (no hens). And they get along really well. I also have one other rooster kept in another barn. In the spring, I would like the let all of my roosters free range to help keep bugs down, etc. So how do I go about introducing this one rooster to the group of three?

The coop with access to food and water, and exit/entry is the coop with the three roosters in it. So before I can let my roosters free range, the one rooster needs make this coop his home as well so he understands where to go for food, water and shelter.

I was thinking of taking a nice wire cage and putting the new rooster in it and setting it in the coop with the other roosters and letting them get used to seeing each other before letting them be able to have any contact. Also, this new rooster is a bit smaller than the other three, which makes me extra nervous for him.

Any ideas? Will it be safe to add the new rooster?

2. HS Pye

HS Pye Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Texas
    Hi,

I've never heard of a flock of roosters! Pretty neat that they don't attack each other often. You might try that, or you might put him in the coop at night so when the others wake up they'll think he's been there. I wouldn't doubt it if they'd have fights each other at first though :/.

HS Pye

3. MapleFrontFarms

Apr 1, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Yes well they've been raised together. They actually get along better than my hens used to. No fussing between them at all. It's really sweet.
    That's why I'm nervous about how this new guy will affect them.

4. HS Pye

HS Pye Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Texas
    That's really neat! I'd try either of those methods and hope they'll accept them. If this new one is a little smaller he might be able to slip through a tangle, that's what ours do... unless they win the cock fight.

HS Pye

5. TheChickInn

TheChickInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2012
    I had to introduce a new roo into my flock last year. What worked for me was to separate the 2 boys and keep them in a cage by themselves for a week. Without any girls around, they never argued. After a week, I put them in with the girls. They fought a little, but it only lasted for a couple of days. The boys were quite outnumbered by the girls, so the flock split almost in half, one boy with a pile of girls, and they never had any problems after the first week. I did this with my silkies, not sure if this would work with larger, more aggressive breeds. I think if you have a good roo to hen ratio, you shouldn't have any problems though....good luck!

6. MapleFrontFarms

Apr 1, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    There are no hens involved at all. I only have roosters. So that takes away most of the aggression because they're not protecting any ladies, they only have each other.

7. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I've never had problems introducing another roo. The big factor is space. The boys will pick on the newcomer, and they want him to RUN. So if he runs from them and there's plenty of space for them to get away, it shouldn't be an issue. Just make sure there's no place the current flock can back him into a corner with no way out.

I introduce roosters differently than pullets. For pullets I put them in a pen within the chicken pasture for a few weeks until everyone gets to know the new birds through the wire, then let them mix. For roosters--I just drop them over the fence into the pasture as soon as they're out of quarantine. I've never had problems.

8. pound4pound

pound4pound Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2014
    watching, wild and free!
    if the 3 rooster pick on this newcomer, the new rooster will stunt and stressed because of his inability to stand up for himself and will compete for food. it is therefore agreeable if you raise rooster chicks from day 1 then all of those roosters will get along but one of them shall be picked on. that is unavoidable.

9. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Your plan sounds very doable. After a time with that, I'd just range them together. He'll get picked on a bit and he may try to return to the other coop to sleep, so close it off so he cannot gain access. Then take him from wherever he chooses to roost~likely next to the old coop~and place him into the new one each night until he gets the hang of it. Roosters settle pecking order issues pretty quickly and he may be the odd man out for a bit but they can adjust well.

All you can do it try it and see if it works!

10. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I disagree completely. It is not necessary to raise roosters together--instead, it is necessary to make sure that you have a good rooster to hen ratio (at least 1:9) and lots of space. None of my boys were raised together, are the same breed, or are the same age. All are just fine. The subordinate roos know their place and are not picked on. They are certainly not stunted or stressed.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by