Introducing A New Sebastopol Goose

HuertaFarm

In the Brooder
Jun 25, 2020
Kansas City
Hi there! Any experts with raising Sebastopol geese? My husband and myself are new to the farm life and have been learning as much as possible as we start the journey. We got a sexed pair of Sebastopol geese and they have been amazing the past several months we have had them. We built them a very large and secure structure half enclosed and half with heavy duty metal fencing, reinforced so nothing can dig under the walls. This morning we woke up to a horror scene. An animal (it looks like two actually) managed to get in and killed our male Sebastopol and a few young chicks we had feathering out and waiting to be joined with our flock of adult chickens. It was a huge shock and I feel mortified for our female goose who must've sat there watching it all happen while the male protected her. I have a few questions now:

1 - We are very lucky the lady who sells us Sebastopol geese has three single males left after her hatching season and we will be getting another one for our lonely female. I've heard people say these geese are bonded pairs and they mate for life etc... and then heard people say that is not true and they are not bonded and can easily have a new mate. My questions is how easy will it be to bring in a new male to be with the female. The two were raised with us since birth and seemed very close. Will she have any trouble accepting the new male, is there anything I can do to make the process go smoother? Please give me any tips that might help us make the smooth transition.

2 - Also very curious how bringing in a 6 week old male will do temperament wise. Our other male was very laid back and non aggressive, but protective. Wondering if this male will be more temperamental since he hasn't imprinted on us from a young age.

Thanks for reading the post. I apologize for the length of it all. We are pretty devastated with the loss of our goose and are so sad picturing him protecting her to the death. She has been forlornly squawking and walking around looking for him. It is heartbreaking for me and just want to make sure she will be able to be happy with the next male.

Last edited:
I’m sorry no one answered your question yet. I’m not a goose person so I can’t help you either. But hereby you have a bump to the top :). Did you end up getting the new male?

I’m so sorry for your loss! That poor girl has gone through so much trauma! The sooner you introduce the new male the better for her.
He will be unused to you for sure, but 6 weeks is still very young so bonding with you and her will happen quicker than what can happen sometimes with an older bird.
At first the two of them might be freaked out, her by a newcomer, him by new everything, but she’s lonely now so she’ll be willing to get to know him.
Geese are all individuals with different personalities so it’s hard to say what his temperament will be, there may be a few bumps in the road as everyone gets to know each other so spending as much time with both of them as you can to get him used to you is important, he will bond with you too.

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies! We did bring in the male and I think he was more nervous at first than she was, but she acts very protective over him. That was the opposite when the older male. But they've both been doing great. I think I was more stressed out about it than I needed to be.
Side question if anyone sees this; do your geese ever like anything as a treat? I've been offering the new male some "treats" to get him to warm up to me, but nothing seems to be very appealing to him. They free range so get a lot of clover daily and I've offered them several selections of chicken scratch and poultry mixes with no luck.

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies! We did bring in the male and I think he was more nervous at first than she was, but she acts very protective over him. That was the opposite when the older male. But they've both been doing great. I think I was more stressed out about it than I needed to be.
Side question if anyone sees this; do your geese ever like anything as a treat? I've been offering the new male some "treats" to get him to warm up to me, but nothing seems to be very appealing to him. They free range so get a lot of clover daily and I've offered them several selections of chicken scratch and poultry mixes with no luck.
Geese are individuals so some like some things and others do not.

This is a compilation of all the various things my flock will eat, like I said not everyone is a fan of certain things though.

Corn, corn leaves, peas, cucumbers, melons, watermelon, lettuce, romaine lettuce, pumpkin seeds, pumpkin leaves, clover, broccoli, tomatoes (not the plant), blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, plums, peaches, cherries, apples, pears, carrots, grapes, dandelions, Swiss chard, arugula, citrus.

Back
Top Bottom