Introducing a Pekin to established flock help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Mrichard0930, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Mrichard0930

Mrichard0930 Just Hatched

Sep 15, 2016
    Please Help- I am a first time duck owner I have one male mallard one male Pekin and one female Pekin Duck about ten months old. We have 7 acres they roam during day if we are home - have a pen they walk around in if we are at work and a cage they get locked up in at night. The female was getting too much attention so I wanted another female Pekin. Two days ago I introduced a new female Pekin 5 months old (I purchased two hours away) to the group and the first intersection was them walking toward each other it seemed great but then both males wouldn't leave her alone trying to mate with her. She ran into the woods and hid in bushes where we could see. I gave her space and we went to get her and she ran further in and we couldn't find her. We couldn't find her all night but next day she was walking by at 6 am and I saw where she went into woods - I let her hide out all day to rest knowing she just lays and hides not going anywhere. Later there she was same spot I saw her walk into so we cornered and captured her. We gave her alone time in pen with kiddie pool which she seemed to enjoy very much but she didn't eat. She even was following around with the ducks on the outside of cage appearing as if she wanted to be with them so we added the female Pekin - the two were fine. We later added the male mallard who tried to mate but only pecked at her neck so we finally added the other male Pekin shortly after. We didn't know how to handle the introduction and figured us monitoring them acclimating her into the flock would be best. Well it was horrible to watch they were both going at her trying to mate and she was running away. Finally we opened the pen after a few minutes and she ran right into the bushes again. This was last night at 6 pm it's now 10 pm so it's been more than a full day that's why I am on here asking for help what to do? We looked everywhere for her today with our cat 2 dogs and even the 3 ducks -a search team if you will and we cannot find her. Does anyone have any suggestions? Does anyone think she left forever or if she will be back ? Any info would help please

2. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

I really can not say that she will return on her own..She does not think of your place as home..It takes longer than a day to introduce Ducks...You should separate her and the other female from the Drakes...Two Drakes is a lot for only two hens..She will need time to bond with the other hen..Your Drakes are going to breed her every time you put her out with them..They are competing with each other for the hen..Possibly rehome one Drake and get another hen...3 Hens with one Drake would be less stress for the Hens...

Just my thoughts...

3. Mrichard0930

Sep 15, 2016
    Okay thank you hopefully she returns. We are going to look for her all day today. The male mallard follows me around more than anything so I didn't see him as too much of a hinderence on the hens. He actually climbs on the male Pekin sometimes instead of hens. If she comes back I will pen her and the female for a few days. It was confusing because she seemed to follow my male Pekin around fence. I will talk to my boyfriend about re homing the male mallard he picked out and I picked out male Pekin as ducklings not knowing genders so we will have to figure it out. We each picked two and the female mallard flew away with the male but the male came back!! First time duck owners they are more complicated than I thought.
    Thanks for your help : )

4. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

You will do fine....We all learn as we go...
    Good luck finding the Hen...

Cheers

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Duck introductions do need to go slowly and carefully, and due to personalities it doesn't always work well, at least at first.

The ducks' lives depend on you - please don't treat overmating as normal. It can be deadly and traumatizing. Domestic animals depend on us to take care of them.

And I am sure you care very much for your ducks.

I would separate males from females for now, and look into either rehoming a drake, adding more females, or just keep them separate. Even with more females, you may have a problem with the drakes teaming up on one duck. Just don't let that happen.

6. Mrichard0930

Sep 15, 2016
    Thank you for your help I wish I could go back in time and know this because I would have done exactly that. I feel so terrible for not placing her in a pen alone for a longer period of time. When I put the two females in I should have just left it at that. I was going to until she started following the male around the fence it confused me as if she did want to be with them but they were probably just getting to know each other. Back when my boyfriend picked the mallards out I assumed they would leave (the female did) and we would only have two Pekins and depending on the gender would have room to increase females. I was googling and asking questions to breeders and no one knew how to,introduce ducks - I wish I posted on here first. I was saying it's probably easier to raise kids because so many people can give advice but in this case there isn't much information out there about raising ducks. I was laughed at yesterday by neighbors they all thoghht I was asking them if they saw a lost dog not a lost duck. I learned my lesson I have been devastated it's been days I've looked everywhere posted on craigslist talked to neighbors and she is still missing. I broke down last night assuming she was killed even though searching half of our 7 acres I didn't find any signs of her. I read stories online to help me stay positive how females disappear and found days later making nests but then there's the horror stories. As far as the males this is going to be so hard - when I take a male away my female freaks out and they all do until they're back together and she does her dance. So which male do I take away I don't even know. The male Pekin mates with her and the male mallard is so domesticated at this point he wouldn't survive at the nearby lake. He is close to me and follows me everywhere standing on my feet all the time. People told me the only hard part about ducks is they're messy which j find to be the easiest part - this whole gender thing is the hard part!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by