Introducing a rescued dutch bantam hen? URGENT

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by btruegs, Sep 2, 2014.

1. btruegs

btruegs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2014
    Spokane WA
    Hey guys,

My uncle used to have all kinds of animals, horses, goats, dogs, cats, and atleast 100 chickens, both roosters and hens. Now that he's getting old he can't take care of it all so he gave the animals away. My grandma became "jealous" of my hens and wanted some. She got some of the one's my uncle gave away, which are dutch bantams. She got 9 total, one mom, 8 chicks, and another young hen.

Anyway, during the couple days she had them, the mom got pretty vicious so i ended up bringing her home to my 3 black australorps, and 1 nh red. They haven't been near as bad, but can be pretty mean to her. i set up a little pen inside the chicken coop area (fenced off portion of the yard) for them to get used to the bantam, and i accidentally let her out. if she stays in a seperate corner from the other hens, they don't really bother her. How can i get the other hens to stop fighting with her?

Also, is there a way i can clip the bantams wings? i went out last night and she was on top of the chicken coop, which is 7 feet high, (it has posts to keep it off ground). But she is a very sweet girl, i feel bad for her over in her corner.

Any help is greatly appriciated.

2. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    adding a single bird is very hard integration , try picking your least aggressive bird, and penning them up together for a week, then reintroduce the pair. It might work.

It sounds as if the rest of your chickens are full size. Size is very important in the hierarchy of chickens. The bantam may always take the brunt of things.

Mrs K

1 person likes this.
  3. btruegs

May 1, 2014
    Spokane WA
    Yes the others are full size. The others are fine with her, except for one "bully", and the bully is not even the leader of the flock. I built a small pen made of scrap chicken wire in the corner of the coop area, so the others can still see the bully. Do i need to build a small coop out of wood so they can not see the bully?

4. Howlet

Howlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2014
    Maryland
    My Coop
    my smallest hen bosses around one 3x her size XD . what you could do is remove the bully for a week, no contact with the rest. then when you reintroduce her she will be "New" and at the bottom of the order. OR you could go with the more experienced person abovE XD ive never used any of these methods b cuz i dont need to do it until next spring

1 person likes this.
  5. btruegs

May 1, 2014
    Spokane WA
    So do i need to build a second smaller coop?

6. btruegs

May 1, 2014
    Spokane WA
    haha[​IMG] thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by