introducing a roo chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by artsyrobin, Apr 2, 2009.

1. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    Hi everyone, after losing my BA roo chick- 3 weeks old, i want to get another roo and introduce him to the pullets, also 3 weeks old- do i need to keep them separate at first, cordoned off? i am also thinking i need to buy a pullet his same age so he won't be isolated- ideas?

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

It is awlays best to keep them isolated for 30 days. If you choose not to be ready with antibiotics and such on hand. When it is time for them to meat you can add him in at night when they are sleeping.

3. Spires6

Spires6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Ohio
    I would keep him separated from the three week olds until his size is close to theirs. It might make him happier to have a pullet his age. When I mixed 2 age groups of young chicks last year I moved them from their brooders to the coop on the same day in evening so they were all in a new setting and they did fine.

4. Spires6

Spires6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Ohio
    I also added a rooster when they were 3 mos old (same age) that a friend had given me and I put him on the roost at night and they did fine.

5. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    thanks for the info- our Orchlens Farm Store only gets them in on Friday and thats where I got my original ones, so will be calling them in the morning- thinking of a brahma or cochin, the girls are pretty easy going.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by