Introducing a rooster to a flock of hens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MI-Homesteader, Jun 28, 2016.

1. MI-Homesteader

MI-Homesteader Just Hatched

Jun 25, 2016
    Holly, Michigan
    Hi there, we currently have 17 hens and want to get a rooster. Ive found a buff orppington for free that they say has good temperment but ive never introduced a rooster to hens, how should i do it to make the transition easier?

2. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    If you have an all hen flock, and the rooster is more than 8 months, this is the EASIEST introduction made with a single strange bird into an established flock.

The rooster will strut in, one or two of you more dominant hens may try to bluff him, and by tomorrow morning, they will all be in love with him.

It will change the dynamics of the flock, the hens will no longer look to you, but rather to him. Feed him, he will call the girls over. Kind of neat to see.

If the rooster is young, he will not be a flock master until he is nearly a year old, he should be dominant by the time he is full size. If the rooster comes from a multi- generational flock (with older hens and another rooster) he will understand chicken society, but may be intimidated for a while by the older hens. They may teach him some manners.

Good luck,

Mrs K

3. SueT

SueT Overrun With Chickens

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    MI Homesteader, I hope you will update us after you introduce your rooster!

4. MI-Homesteader

Jun 25, 2016
    Holly, Michigan
    He will be the lone rooster, he is 1 year old and the hens are about 7-8 months. So far they all love him haha, should i keep him in the crate for a day or two? Or maybe keep them in the coop confined for a day or two? The coop is 12x8 plenty large enough for them all to hangout while they get aqcuanted

[​IMG]

5. MI-Homesteader

Jun 25, 2016
    Holly, Michigan
    Also he was a lone rooster with 5 hens, i got him for free because he was too rough on the 5, hopefully our 17 will be ok [​IMG]

6. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    I'd watch him very closely.

7. MI-Homesteader

Jun 25, 2016
    Holly, Michigan
    Intheswamp, what am i watching for? Will he hurt my girls?

8. Intheswamp

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Well, you said the previous owner got rid of him because he was too rough on the five hens that he was with. Will having more hens calm him down or will it just give him more hens to be rough with. To me, over-mating and being rough are two different things. Keep an eye on the hens, too...look out for missing feathers and especially any raw places or cuts on their backs or necks. Who knows, he may turn into a great rooster with that many hens. Just don't let things get out of hand if he doesn't.
    Ed

9. MI-Homesteader

Jun 25, 2016
    Holly, Michigan
    I should have worded it differently my apologies, he was over mating them. I have to watch my terms now that i have a rooster [​IMG]. I will update everyone on how he does!

10. Intheswamp

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    That indeed sounds better. Do keep us updated on his integration. :)

Ed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by