1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Introducing a rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by homestead 101, Feb 5, 2016.

1. homestead 101

homestead 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2016
    I got a question that I am sure someone on here nows the answer to. I just got four laying hens the other day and was wondering if I could get a rooster to put in with them. There's two buff orpingtons and one Americana and one bantam hen. I would really like some advice in how to go about this.

2. azygous

azygous Overrun With Chickens

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Roosters are not a simple addition to a flock of hens. Are there any specific reasons you want one?

Hens do splendidly without a rooster. In fact, many people who have had a rooster with their hens say the hens are so much more relaxed and content after he's died.

Many people have the misconception that a rooster is needed for the hens to lay. This is a myth. The only reason you would need a rooster is if you plan on breeding the hens to hatch baby chicks.

There are good roosters but there are also ornery, aggressive, annoying, even dangerous roosters. If you happen to have an aggressive rooster, or one who is so crazed by hormones he over-mates the hens, ending up with bald backs and heads from all his "attention", you will be pulling your hair out trying to figure out a way to deal with him.

If you really desire a rooster, it's very simple to add him to the flock. He will be so focused on sex and mating that he will adjust very quickly to his new flock. The hens may, however, have their own problems adjusting to him.

3. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Great advice already above. Additionally, 4 hens to a roo is likely to result in over-mating and possible physical harm to the girls and goodness knows what damage a standard size roo would do to a bantam hen! (I may be wrong, so if others have experience with standard roos and bantam hens, then i hope they will correct me).

CT

4. Aliconway

Aliconway Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2014
    I hatched out three Silkie Roos so now had 3 cockerels and my resident roo. I just found one of my now grown cockerels dead in the pen with a bloody mess of the back of his head. Did my resident roo do this? Did the hens do this? I know I do not have enough hens for them but I was waiting until Spring...any ideas?

5. homestead 101

homestead 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2016
    I would say the resident room did that because he didn't want any one else coming into his territory

6. Aliconway

Aliconway Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2014
    That's what I thought. The cockerels were hatched out this past summer and I guess I wrongly assumed if they were raised with him, there would be a natural pecking order established and they wouldn't be an issue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by