1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Introducing a silkie bantam to my 5 big girls , help !

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by connor97, Dec 17, 2012.

1. connor97

connor97 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 2 EE, a barred rock, rhode island red, and a black star.
    A pet store near my house is selling full grown silkie hens and I really really have always wanted a silkie. But I am scared that she will get bullied by the other girls since she is so small :'c
    So do you think it would be better to buy 2 silkies so she doesnt feel so alone? If you don't think this will make a difference please let me know, because it would be better to just have once since they are 40$ each, and also I'm only really suppossed to have 6 chickens max in my city, but I think if it would make the silkie happier to have another silkie friends I could sneak her in a friend.
    Let me know what you think !

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Big chickens pick on little chickens - it's the pecking order. Large fowl and silkies can live well together, but do best when raised together. Silkies because of their crests are an easy target for others. I'm afraid that your present flock will make life HECK for an introduced silky. Is there any possibility of making a separate pen and getting two?

3. Frizzle13

Frizzle13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    i put a silkie in with my large hens and she(now he was fine) even when i had a rather agressive roo and hens in the run already. and after a couple of assertive pecs it is still happily in the run. i have also added alot of small bantams in with big hens and they have all been fine

4. Frizzle13

Frizzle13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    just keep them seperated for a few days prior to them actually getting together. and make sure they can see and hear them

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

The others might be terribly mean to your silkie.

Silkies shouldn't be bullied since they have a soft spot on their heads like a baby. If pecked too hard there, they can get wry neck/brain swelling.

Here are pics of silkie skulls if interested:
    http://browneggblueegg.com/Article.html
    click on column on left "silkie skull" and "crookneck" - there are many byc posts on silkie wry neck cured with vitamins if you ever have that happen

It is best for silkies to have a buddy silkie, since they like to pile on the floor in shavings to sleep (not roost higher than 6-12 inches off the floor) and don't like ramps too much either. They don't fly.

Your silkie will be unhappy if alone with those large fowl who will peck her. It would be ideal to get a silkie pen as sourland suggested, but if integrating into a large fowl flock I'd get two or none. Additionally, I'd make sure your silkies are at least 4 months old before integration.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by