Introducing a single hen and young chicks

Spunky1

Chirping
Nov 4, 2015
Durban, South Africa
When my single Orpington hen went broody I got her some fertile eggs to hatch as the easiest way to get her some new friends, but they haven't hatched! The only day olds I can get are RIRs and I'm not keen on them. But I may be able to get 4-8 week old chicks of other breeds. How easily is she likely to accept slightly older chicks, having just been broody?

From what I have read, 4-8 week olds are likely to be too old for her to accept them.

Having said that, I have had an older hen that would quite happily baby-sit chicks hatched from other hens. I guess it probably depends on the age of the hen and her disposition / experience in raising chicks :confused:

So you've candled and the eggs are clear?

If you haven't candled, do so now, tonight. You might be surprised.

If you see dark blobs with air space at the end, let them sit for another day or so.

LofMc

From what I have read, 4-8 week olds are likely to be too old for her to accept them.

Having said that, I have had an older hen that would quite happily baby-sit chicks hatched from other hens. I guess it probably depends on the age of the hen and her disposition / experience in raising chicks :confused:

Being an Orpington she's very calm and layed-back but these would be her first chicks, and I've never had any chicks while I've had her so she's never even seen any!

...also day 1 is 24 hours AFTER you set the eggs...so you could be at day 22, well within things to progress.

Candle and see :D
LofMc
:celebrate The first one I picked up nearly rolled itself off my hand there was so much movement inside!! And as soon as I started telling my hen how clever she is... the egg answered back! There is the tiniest hole starting so obviously it's back under her and I'm certainly not moving her to see what else is happening. At the very least we will have one chick:D

No chicks. When she came out at lunch time I saw a second egg with a tiny hole but I didn't want to disturb them so didn't pick up any to look for others starting. I'm about to feed her and shut her in for the night, I'll see if I can see or hear anything else.

Back
Top Bottom