Introducing a Single to a Flock of 3

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by TheBrumstead, Apr 27, 2017.

1. TheBrumstead

TheBrumstead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Hobart, IN
    I may be adding a single, year old hen to an existing flock of three (aged 5-6 years old) tomorrow. Her current owner has had her for one month and she thinks she needs more room. My pen is 12x7. I have a pet carrier/dog crate I can put her in for during the day (in the coop), but am concerned about roosting in the coop at night with the others. Thoughts?

EDIT: I don't have an additional coop or secure place to quarantine outside, away from the coop. Can I quarantine in the basement? She'd have a bunny for company (not in contact, but same room).

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I would put her in the cage for a couple days----when its time--- so they can get use to seeing each other----then after dark I would place her on the roost with the rest----and be there as its breaking daylight the next morning and watch to make sure they are getting alone. Now when is it time?? I would NEVER bring another hen into my present flock without quarantining her for some time----to make sure everything is fine. I could write a list of people I know that have put them together the time they get them and loose most if not all of their present flock. Even chicks---was talking to a guy a few days ago at tractor supply----2 new chicks---in with his 40----6 days later he has only 6 alive and the 2 he added died first.

3. TheBrumstead

May 9, 2011
    Hobart, IN
    She's coming from my husband's cousin, so it's a semi-known flock. I have not been to her place though. She'll be in my area in the morning and is bringing the hen by so I can see her.

4. TheBrumstead

May 9, 2011
    Hobart, IN
    I don't have an additional coop or secure place to quarantine outside, away from the coop. Can I quarantine in the basement? She'd have a bunny for company (not in contact, but same room).

5. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    OK, its just so bad when it happens. Good Luck

Wow---5 to 6 year olds----I have not had one even 3 years old in many years. When mine get 2+ year old I am already raising replacements for them, then the older girls take a ride to someone else's place.

6. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Do you have a decent size wire dog kennel you can place her in and way away from the rest---across the yard----at least a week or two---to make sure she is not sick in any way---I rather go 3 to 4 weeks. I have kept them in a decent size dog kennel with a top on it----maybe a piece of plywood or boards or 1/2" hardware cloth on the sides so no predator can reach in and grab her at night???

7. TheBrumstead

May 9, 2011
    Hobart, IN

I have an extra dog crate, but not a full outside kennel. My current flock is in a 12x7 dog kennel as their pen. I wouldn't trust the dog crate outside at night. If I did the basement, I could take her outside for a few hours in the walk-out. I should mention that the basement area is a walk-out with LOTS of natural light, so not a dark damp basement.

[​IMG]

8. TheBrumstead

May 9, 2011
    Hobart, IN

They are truly pets :) Only one is laying right now. For the longest time, my husband said no more than 4. We had a 4th, but she passed last fall (she was about 8). Now he's ok with adding more. Later this spring I'm going to be getting chicks and building a larger coop/pen.

9. TheBrumstead

May 9, 2011
    Hobart, IN
    Well, she's here. She's an Ayam Cemani, about a year old. Ayam Cemanis are an Indonesian breed. Her coloring isn't perfect, so she's not breeding quality, which makes this the perfect home for her. She's very quiet so far. She literally fell asleep in my arms.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I know its another subject but being you mentioned it----I hope if you wanted a dozen or 2 your husband would be ok with it----If my Wife wanted 1000 I would say get them Baby----LOL. I had 1232 2 years ago and she was ok with that too---but I did not ask her if I could have that many----she knew I had a reason for everyone I owned.

I been hatching some of these Ayam Cemani in the last few weeks!!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by