1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Introducing a young roo to an established flock of hens.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickadelic, Oct 21, 2015.

1. chickadelic

chickadelic Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2014
    Does anyone have any experience with bringing a young roo into an established flock of hens. The hens are about 1 and 1/2 years old and have been together since hatched. They are Barred Rock. A friends gave me a 6 month rooster also Barred Rock but the hens are fighting with him. Suggestions appreciated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Peeps61

Peeps61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    NW Florida
    They are going to fight until he asserts his dominance and takes over the flockmaster's duties. Older hens will always make a rooster earn his place in the flock, and will not allow him to mate with them until he has asserted his dominance. Typically, this will be around 9 - 10 months for him. As long as they aren't drawing blood, let them work it out. If they are, separate him and put him in an area where they can "visit" but not touch. Once they've gotten used to him, try it again.

3. tdepointe

tdepointe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2015
    Brooklyn, Connecticut
    Don't know if this will help but this is what I have done in the past.

When I had introduced a young rooster to an established flock, they were all New Hampshires. He was about 7months and the 25 hens where in their second year. I kept him in a small coop by himself to start with and would let him out in the yard so he could approach them in the run. The second day I did the same but about 1.5 hours before the hens went in to roost I also let the hens out in the yard. They did fight but he could escape into the bushes. After a few days they all came to an understanding. In the end he was allowed into the flock but not all the hens would submit to him and they acted more like separate flock lead by the alpha hen.

4. chickadelic

chickadelic Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2014
    Thank you . . . . .I guess it will take patience. He is quite a gentle rooster but he does fight back. The only problem is that the hens get his beautiful comb and waddles and it draws blood, so I have to take him away. He is roosting with the tonight but I will get up at day break to supervise. I wish they made little helmets for chickens :/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by