introducing adult guinea fowl to adult chickens?

hennedout

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 25, 2013
Hello, I was wondering if its possible to introduce adult (but young) guineas to my flock of chickens. I have 8 (soon to be 12) chickens; all hens and one rooster. I would like the guineas around to scare off or just alarm when the neighborhood hawk is on the prowl. I recently lost two chickens to him and have declared war
rant.gif
I am going to be doing some run modification, right now the chickens fly in and out of the run as they please and roost in the trees. I am going to put netting on the top of my large run and would like it if the guineas can eventually coexist with the chickens.

I don't want to get the guineas if they will bully my chickens or won't be happy in a run. I would give them places to hide and their owns roosts of course but I would hate to have to get rid of them or just let them fend for themselves and free range.

any other tips on guineas?

thanks for the input!

My neighbor has about twenty chickens and aboutas many guineas. They all coexist wonderfully but are free range. I now have 11 keets from them at about a month and a week and am slowly introducing them to my existing flock. so far so good. i am told they may just assume that they are chickens too since they are raised with them and i am hoping for this. I know it can be done. Mine are also free range chickens and the keets spend about two to four hours a day outside withthem while the weather holds. I dunno what to do when it doesnt as I don't havemuch in the way of a covered run. Am hoping by then the keets will be fully feathered. good luck to you.

Back
Top Bottom