Introducing an older pullet

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chicken995, Jul 7, 2011.

1. chicken995

chicken995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    Northern Colorado
    I'm looking to introduce a 16 week old Delaware pullet to my group of 11 week old pullets. What is the best way to go about this? I'm planning on sectioning off a part of the coop so they can see each other and get used to each other. But then I got to thinking that maybe the bigger size of the Delaware will dissuade the current group from bullying, and likewise maybe the being the "new girl" in the flock the Delaware will leave everybody alone. Any advice hear would be greatly appreciated.

2. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

When I first bring home a new girl, she is in medium size wire dog crate. I keep her in the crate for an hour, setting it on the ground with the flock. Now everyone can look & not touch. I give out a few scoops of layer mash & feed, as part of their dinner. One hour before sunset I release the newbie with the flock, now's the time for their favorite food treat! Hopefully, everyone will be busy eating, and there won't beimmediate pecking order disputes . That will come at roosting time. [​IMG] Take your time, and enjoy your feathered friends!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  3. chicken995

chicken995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    Northern Colorado
    Thank you very much for the advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by