Introducing and squabbling..

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Tulpa, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Tulpa

Tulpa Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2012
    Hi.. We have 2 Bovan Goldlines hens and have introduced 2 Border Sussex to their world. There has been some jostling, pecking and general squabbling and the two original hens appear to have established dominance.. How long before the two new ones start laying? Has the experience of relocation put them off? Help!!

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    It can take two to four weeks give or take for them to settle in to the new place.

3. Tulpa

Tulpa Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2012
    Thanks.. I guess around the same time as it took our original two to get used to their new home?
    They're a worry! I fear waking up to a dead hen!

4. Tulpa

Tulpa Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2012
    It has to be said, the introduction of two new hens to our flock has not disrupted the Bovan's egg laying routine!

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Each chicken is an individual with its own personality. Some can handle stress and change better than others.

Moving them and introducing new birds to disrupt the pecking order can stop them laying for a while, not necessarily absolutely will but it certainly can, as many of us know. How fast they come back to laying can vary too.

I'm glad your Bovans are still going strong and here's hoping the others start paying the rent soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by