Introducing another Rooster HELP

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by weaselscoop, Jan 28, 2013.

1. weaselscoop

weaselscoop New Egg

Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    I have raised chickens for about 6 years. I've always had a mix of standard and bantam hens. The only roosters I've had, have been bantams. There's always been a king of the coop. And the other rooster or two was hatched and grew within my flock so there's never been an all out blood bath brawl. Well we have always been able to add new hens here and there with no real problems. And predators here and there have rotated my flock. I was down to 4 bantam hens 2 bantam roos and 2 standard hens. Well my bantam rooster has been around breeding 4 generations and the other roo is his bantam son both the epitomy of a rooster. Very good boys that watch over and care for the girls. However with the 4 gen inbreeding i decided it was about time to cull the king. Someone was getting rid of her gorgeous flock of standard hens 22 to be exact. All different breeds. And 1 black maran rooster. He also a fine roo. Well I waited til dark to put them in the coop. Let them out in the morning no problems. Everyone ate together. Five hours later the king bantam and the big maran roo decided to squabble. The bantam started it. The maran was barely fighting. Just pushing him away. The bantam roo was bloody. The maran untouched pretty much. So I ultimately knew I wanted to cull the bantam roo anyway. So I did. Thinking my other bantam roo whose always been the peon wouldn't really do much. I was wrong. A few hours later the bantam decided he was king with the other roo gone. So he decided to fight the Maran. Again the bantam bloody the maran... not. The maran really is being very considerate. And yes I expected a pecking order king of the hill squabbles. But my bantam is not giving up. So I separated the bantam. But I really want to keep him. I do not know what to do. Just let them duke it out? Will they eventually sort it out? The size difference is a concern. I'm also wanting the bantam roo to keep with my bantam hens. Is the big maran going to trample my little hens? They are completely free range and cooped at night. I have 26 hens total. Advice please!!!?? :(

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'd think you need to seperate the bantams and the standards. The Marans roo could injure your bantam hens. From your numbers I'd build a run for the bantams and let the large fowl free roam.

3. weaselscoop

weaselscoop New Egg

Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    Id feel terrible if i had to coop my bantams. Ive had a couple since the beginning. Theyve always mixed well with the standard hens anyway. And the bantam roos do well with standard hens. This is the first time Ive tried introducing a new adult roo and a standard one at that. Has no one had any luck introducing a new adult roo to an established flock successfully? Has anyone introduced a bantam roo with a standard roo and what were the outcomes? Id rather remove a roo than confine my bannys. :( But i really would rather not remove a roo either! :(

cant we all just get along!?!?

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Yes your large fowl roo can possibly injure or kill a small bantam hen. I have never allowed a fully grown large fowl roo to mate with a bantam but have read it can end badly with internal injuries. I have seen one of my Buff Orp hens trample one of my Nankins that I used to have and she sounded squished and hurt- what a horrible sound.

You could sell all your bantams or make a run as donrae suggested. That roo is going to want to mate everybody.

Enjoy your flock! Oh- another thing some do is to have a pen for each flock and alternate free ranging on alternate days...just a thought.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  5. weaselscoop

weaselscoop New Egg

Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    Thank you! I would love to enjoy. Now im just stressed. Ive heard a few stories of successful coexistence between rooster sizes. I love my birds. Perhaps I shouldnt have gotten so many at once this time. Ive never had an issue introducing. Im thinking maybe I give the roos a chance to hash it out. Keep a very close eye just in case. Then The bantam can go back to normal with his 5 established ladies. And the big roo can go about his 20 est. Or maybe pen the bantam roo with his 5 for a week and reintroducing. IDK!?!? I really want this to work out. The bantams are my favorites. I hobby breed them in the summer for color variations. But even if i removed the bantams isnt 20 something hens too many for 1 roo? maybe he wont have time to mate the bannys. ;) *wishful thinking* also thinking i may have to just have the broody banny hatch a new roo and let him grow up with the flock. Ive always had success that way. Or just remove the new standard roo and return peace to the bantam roo. Now i feel bad I culled my main bantam. :( Can you tell im still a little soft? lol

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    The problem isn't so much between the roosters as between the large roo and the small hens. That big ol' roo is going to hurt those little hens. He's not going to know they're too small for him, all he knows is breed! Might be more along your goals to remove him.

7. LukensFarms

LukensFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2013
    Fort Collins, CO
    Separate where they sleep for a while and you can have two free range flocks. Have sleeping quarters about 100 yards apart.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by