Introducing babies and pit bulls.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Megan Amber, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Megan Amber

Megan Amber Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Okay so I'm not looking to start an argumentative thread, I only want advice and experience on introducing children to pit's. Someone I know has one and is also expecting a baby soon. Thank you for your advice and help.

2. FlySammyJ

FlySammyJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2013
    Montana
    Pit-mix owner here. A lot of people assume that pits have violent tendencies because they're used to fight, but they're good fighters mostly because of their strong drive to please their owners in combination with their innate strength. Pits seek all the time to please their families, so they are very trainable and adapt to the attitude of their owners. Unfortunately, due to their popularity as fighting dogs, pits have become a favorite in poor urban areas where folks are, let's say, suspicious of their neighbors. The dogs pick up on that attitude and become suspicious of strangers, making them good guard dogs when set to that purpose (aka mean dogs). Long story short, just treat the introduction like you would with any other dog. Be relaxed and happy, and the dog will be too. If you're overly anxious, the dog will know and think there's something to be nervous about, making them more likely to bark or snap.

3. Megan Amber

Megan Amber Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Oh okay, that's a really great answer thank you!

4. bestponymilo

bestponymilo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2007
    I don't know about your location--but around here many of the local pounds and obedience schools have classes to prep your dog for the baby's arrival. Might be something to look into :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by