Introducing baby chickens to single older chick

albert7777

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 2, 2013
Australia
I originally bought 2 chickens, straight run, but the gentler one sadly died. The more aggressive one is now on its own (i have a suspicion its a rooster) and I’m thinking of buying two more chickens to accompany it. I’m scared it will peck the new chickens to death though.

The older chick is about 3-4 weeks old and I think the new ones are about a week old. What should I do?

Wait two weeks and then integrate.

Your three week olds will be much faster on their feet by then and ready for action and adventure!

Of course quarantine is always recommended for a month or so if you are getting chickens from strangers but this is a personal decision.

Okay thanks. Is it OK if I separate the big coop into 2 so I allow the small chickens to see the bigger ones after quarantine?

At that age difference I'd just put them all in together. I've had up to a 4 week age difference and no problems in the brooder.

At that age difference I'd just put them all in together. I've had up to a 4 week age difference and no problems in the brooder.
Well I’ve split the coop in two, and now the big chicks down with what looks like mild cocci

Bleurgh

The small chicks are fine

Back
Top Bottom