Introducing baby chicks to older hens

Cranberry

Hatching
May 21, 2016
Our chicks are 2 weeks old now and were wondering when we should introduce them to our other hens? When can they start having treats like worm and so such? Also how old do they have to be to start being in the coop and yard with the older hens?

introduce as early and often as you can, but keep a close eye on them. Do not leave them alone together until the littles are bigger though.
The more adult chickens see the new ones and see them around, the more likely transition into the coop/run will be easier.

They can't leave their brooder and heat lamp until the temperature of the brooder matches the temp that it is outside. 2 weeks sounds way to young, especially if you don't know how the older ones will react. They'll trample them in a minute! Sounds to early to be outside too, they're very easy prey. Fresh Eggs Daily is a blog about backyard poultry and has a very in depth article about integrating new chickens to an already established flock.

Agree thats what i did with my chicks and life is a TON easier on them,even the rooster seems to be easing up.

I'm having so much trouble trying to figure out how to post a question.My Cranberry seems to be sick.We have no idea how old she is as we found her in the bush....some *** just threw her away.No water no food and Absolutley terrified.We have had her about a year now and she has been doing so well.Just today she couldn't find her way out of her coop...I thought she is becoming blind because she is very scared to get off her ramp.She walks very slowly and when she's almost down she puts her foot over the edge and just about falls.I tried to give her...her Ffavorite treats and she wouldn't take it.She hasn't drank all day either.She walks around and just stretches her neck but doesn't know where to go.Please help me...I'm so worried about her

Back
Top Bottom