Introducing baby to ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Duck_life, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Duck_life

Duck_life Songster

May 14, 2019
    Woods of PA
    Hi! i have 6 duck babies and i want to introduce my baby girl harmony to the ducklings but i don't know if she's ready or can get any diseases? any opinions?

Miss Lydia likes this.
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

How old is you baby? Will she be holding or touching them? Just make sure she washes her hands real good after petting and doesn’t smooch them on the bill

DuckyDonna likes this.
  3. Duck_life

Duck_life Songster

May 14, 2019
    Woods of PA
    she just turned 1, i'm not sure me or boyfriend want her touching them though, just to see how she reacts to them.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  4. Miss Lydia

Probably just let her see them up close that will be fun enough.

Helloworld and DuckyDonna like this.
  5. Duck_life

Duck_life Songster

May 14, 2019
    Woods of PA
    Thanks!

6. Helloworld

Helloworld Songster

Jul 17, 2018
    Down on the Suwannee River
    Yeah look no touch. Salmonella will be hard for baby if contracted. Proper hygiene will keep it at bay but why risk.
    Oh I bet she is exited. I have a 16 month old granddaughter and she loves coming to granny’s farm! We just peek no touch for now.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  7. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    My toddler neighbor begs her dad to come visit me and the ducks and chickens every time she plays outside. They even have chickens at her pre-school.

Start slow. Let her watch them through the fence. Set up a chair for her. I let little kids feed treats or tell them they can pick grass and put it through the fence. I also teach them they have to walk slow and careful around the coop. Just take it slow and judge the reactions of the birds and your daughter.

DuckyDonna and Miss Lydia like this.
  8. Duck_life

Duck_life Songster

May 14, 2019
    Woods of PA
    Thank you! what ages can i start letting her touch? (of course washing hands after)

DuckyDonna likes this.
  9. Miss Lydia

My grand kids were holding ducklings while sitting down before age 2 but they always got washed up after. It's so nice to be able to teach them at a young age how to care and respect life. Being around animals has it's risks just like being around people you never know what someone maybe carrying. But your also building up a strong immune system too which Is very important. We always had animals while our kids were growing up and doing the same with our grand kids too.

DuckyDonna likes this.
  10. Duck_life

Duck_life Songster

May 14, 2019
    Woods of PA
    Thanks everyone, me and my boyfriend took her up 5 minutes ago and she clapped her hands it was the cutest <3 after that we washed her face and hands (because they are free range and didn't want to take the risks)

DuckyDonna and Miss Lydia like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: