Introducing baby to mom

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Silkiechicken66, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Silkiechicken66

Silkiechicken66 Songster

Jul 22, 2016
    So i brought a baby that just hatched(miracle baby, posted about on other thread) and gave it to a broody duck. She likes the duckling, but she doesn’t push it under her and it just leans against her, occasionally trying to get under but she doesn’t get the hint I guess?

I’m worried it’s going to get too cold if it stays out from under her. I put it under her, but it moves when she stands up to get a drink or something, so when she sits back down it’s not under her.

chickens really likes this.
  2. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Some Duck hens don't understand the Duckling needs to be under her. I had a Buff Hen that I had to add heat to her Brooder so her babies were not cold. She never covered them.

3. Silkiechicken66

Silkiechicken66 Songster

Jul 22, 2016
    Was she still a good mom?

4. chickens really

Well not really. She liked them enough but actually ate feed and water and pushed them away a bit. Is this your Hens first babies...

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

6. Silkiechicken66

Silkiechicken66 Songster

Jul 22, 2016
    She did after I posted this, but I’m not sure if she would still be that great of a mom.

BirdsBeesTrees likes this.
  7. Silkiechicken66

Silkiechicken66 Songster

Jul 22, 2016
    It is. She keeps drinking all the water/dumping it and eating all the food, not giving baby really a chance. Yeah, she’s kinda keeping it warm but not bothering to defend it when another one of my birds came and tried eating the ducklings foot(left it alone after that, but still)

Miss Lydia and chickens really like this.
  8. chickens really

Yes...She is young.. definitely next time she will be a better Momma. I'd do your best though to keep it with her.

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

I haven’t ever seen many mama ducks defend like A chicken hen will. The duckling if just hatched won’t eat anyway for at least 24 hrs, but mama sure needs to. Give her a chance if she isn’t being a good mama brood it yourself

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    Silkiechicken66 likes this.
  10. chickens really

I'd not remove baby but build up the bedding and keep tucking baby under her..She possibly will then let baby burrow under her.

Silkiechicken66 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: